cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chat in Zoom. Is it possible to translate chats?

JimRobinson
Listener

I will be conducting a Meeting with Ukrainian nationals.  I will be using Zoom Caption translate.

I am wondering if there is a way someone on the Ukrainian side can type a question in Chat and have is translated from Ukrainian to English.  Any thoughts appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

ZoomerIT
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @JimRobinson ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Community! Unfortunately, I am unaware of any way to have an auto-translation completed within an in-meeting chat. The workaround would be to copy and paste messages into a Translator such as Google Translate from Ukrainian to English and vice versa. However, I understand that this is a less desirable process. Please feel free to submit this idea as a Feature Request at https://zoom.us/feed, as I definitely see a great need for a tool like this.

Thanks!

Very interesting - I have the opposite problem!! I teach English to Spanish students through Zoom and use the chat to show my students how a word or phrase is written. Normally this works fine, BUT I have a new student who sees everything I write automatically (and miraculously) translated into Spanish!! We have analysed all his configuration and so far haven't discovered WHY this is happening and HOW to disable it. Any ideas??

AndreasP
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

I just noticed this "new" feature in the client, where text from chats can be translated. It works well when translating into English, it's not possible (yet?) from English into other languages as I always get a "Translation timed out" message. On the other hand, how should the client know, into what language I want it translated? Certainly a good first step to enhance the experience. Client Version is 5.14.2
I don't know if this will apply to meetings as well but it might be an additional option for asking question in a Channel or group chat.
translate.jpg