cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zoom bomber flashers

philipa474
Listener

Has anyone found a solution to zoom bombers repeatedly bombing a meeting while flashing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ExpertswhoJohn
Community Champion | Customer

Reporting can get them blocked by Zoom, but like in any other online app, if they connect with a new login, Zoom will not be able to recognise them.

As Hosts, we must take some responsiblity for giving a process for joining that makes it hard for zoom bombers to attend.
This includes
* Not sharing the zoom link with password publically
* Use waiting room to verifiy visitors
* Remember that if you share a registration, default settings allow poeple to fill anything in the registration and then see the link to he meeting on the screen.
* Dont use a repeated meeting link "for ever", change the password after some time.

John Drinkwater

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ExpertswhoJohn

Hi @philipa474 

I am sorry you have had this.  The solution is at two levels.

1. How are they finding your meeting and the information on how to connect? - If you allow the meeting id and password to be public, then you are giving them the chance to join.
I always have registration for public meetings. This does not stop, but does deter them.
If they register within one hour then by default they will be able to connect directly.

2. When in the meeting
Once a person Is in the meetings, do you take any action to validate who everyone is?
You can stop cameras and only allow those you recognise and know.

Do not allow screen share, I understand they will try and take control of this.
When you get a bomber the acts the security she'd button has an action "suspend all activities" which will stop everything and allow you to take control.
Have you used the waiting room to check people before admitting them?

My experiences.
I run many public meetings every week, and we have many guests we don't know. And then  I have to decide if I was in a physical room with them, would I want them there? I find that interacting with them at the start of the meeting usually scares them off.

in summary, if you publically share, or a member of the meeting shares the link, they can get in.

I appreciate your getting back to me.

1.  Understood.  It's a public meeting and no one is required to register.
2. People may enter the meeting except when the waiting room is being used.  Not allowing cameras might be a solution but it has unwanted consequences,

The zoom bombers seem to go from meeting to meeting and may pop in unexpectedly in the middle of the meeting.  The question is once the zoom bombers are in the meeting and flashing everyone (and the problem is addressed reactively after the damage is done) is there a way to (proactively) discourage them from continuing this behavior and to make it more difficult for this behavior to proliferate as it currently seems to be.

ExpertswhoJohn

Hi @philipa474 ,

Make sure you report them on Zoom which will alert certain controls from Zoom.
But, like all online platforms, people cause trouble when they think they can get away with it.

I appreciate it.

What does reporting them do?

There should be a way of creating a cost for this behavior.  The bombers are imposing a charge on the meeting users.  If they were doing this in-person, there would be a consequence.

ExpertswhoJohn

Reporting can get them blocked by Zoom, but like in any other online app, if they connect with a new login, Zoom will not be able to recognise them.

As Hosts, we must take some responsiblity for giving a process for joining that makes it hard for zoom bombers to attend.
This includes
* Not sharing the zoom link with password publically
* Use waiting room to verifiy visitors
* Remember that if you share a registration, default settings allow poeple to fill anything in the registration and then see the link to he meeting on the screen.
* Dont use a repeated meeting link "for ever", change the password after some time.

John Drinkwater

Noted.  In our meeting we implemented a requirement to join from a zoom account and we haven't had a zoom bombing that I'm aware of since then.