cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

desktop windows as camera

stan7
Listener

I am trying to get zoom to see a desktop program window as camera. Right now I use other programs like "manycam" or OBS to run a virtual camera into zoom. But that takes to many resources from my computer. Would like to see if anyone else was successful getting zoom to do that?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bstrelko
Community Champion | Customer

Why would you prefer a 360p low-res output over a high-res one? Trying to understand.

The short answer is 'No', Zoom does not currently allow you to capture a window/display and use it as a camera natively. Please be sure to submit a feature request if this is something you need. As you know, Mancam/OBS/vMix/etc are workarounds for the time being, but will consume additional resources on the host machine.

View solution in original post

optimizing video does help. But I think the resources of my computer lags a little.

Thankyou very much. Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something that I missed.

13 REPLIES 13

bstrelko

Can you describe the use-case so we have a better idea why you need the captured window to show as a camera rather than content?

use case: meeting environment. All output going to second monitor for audience to see. Also have zoom audience. Goal: want to have output from 2 monitor to show up in zoom output. (like a camera option) then would not have a need for virtual cameras.

If the camera selection on zoom allows to capture desktop windows the same as when you use screenshare. Then not need virtual camera program.

If the camera selection on zoom allows to capture desktop windows the same as when you use screenshare. Then not need virtual camera program.

When sharing screen, there are intermediate steps and the entire Zoom interface changes when you go into a screen share. Switching video input on the other hand is quick and easy with low impact.

bstrelko

Totally. We use a production switcher as the camera source in cases like this where there must be a seamless transition.

ijazkhan
Listener

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
<title>Zoom Virtual Camera</title>
</head>
<body>

<p>Yes, you can achieve this by using third-party virtual camera software like ManyCam or OBS, but it may consume significant resources. Alternatively, check Zoom settings to see if it directly supports sharing a desktop program window as a camera input. Many users find success with virtual camera software for this purpose.</p>

<p>Source: <a href="your_source_link_here">Your Source</a></p>

</body>
</html>

https://xn--bsttestade-q5a.se/

Zoom kinda has a thing that would work. It not very smooth. I use alot of video. Screen sharing will allow you to use a window. But the computer lags. and the frames start to drop.

bstrelko

Have you tried the 'optimize for video' option when screen-sharing? This will prioritize framerate.

bstrelko_0-1701180333805.png

yep,  tried the 'optimize for video' option when screen-sharing. I think the screenshare is to high of output. full hd than the normal 360 output

bstrelko

Why would you prefer a 360p low-res output over a high-res one? Trying to understand.

The short answer is 'No', Zoom does not currently allow you to capture a window/display and use it as a camera natively. Please be sure to submit a feature request if this is something you need. As you know, Mancam/OBS/vMix/etc are workarounds for the time being, but will consume additional resources on the host machine.

Thankyou very much. Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something that I missed.

optimizing video does help. But I think the resources of my computer lags a little.