cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom randomly becomes unresponsive during session and has to be restarted

Bonded8589
Listener

Are there other people with the same issue? Zoom for me is utterly unusable and no ammount of reinstallation has helped.

Summary:

-Zoom on newest Version keeps starting to hang at random points during meeting

-Windows 10 build 19045 but problem is across 2 Windows 10 PCs

-Problem persists for around 2 years, I think and has gotten a lot worse recently

-Updates have solved nothing

-Zoom therefore is unreliable and unusable for me

-I have gathered some crash logs but zoom kept deleting them on restart, which I noticed too late

-The problem is also a burden on meeting owners as they have to let me rejoin every time

Ive had occasional crashes for around 2 years and across 2 devices where zoom is installed. No update since has changed the problem but it might have gotten worse recently.

Zoom sometimes starts to hang in Windows and becomes unresponsive. If I click into the window then it goes white and hangs completely with only the sound continuing to work. If I don't click, then most of the time the video feeds keep playing for some time until the whole application hangs and requires restart. If I don't happen to click into the application, then sometimes only the presentation screen keeps playing normally during hanging and Ive also had the case where that was frozen but the webcams were still working.

Also the application breaks at different points. Sometimes clicking to open the chat lets everything hang. Sometimes opening the screen share screen lets it hang.

The worst thing is the owner of the room then has to manually re-accept my crashing instance of zoom into the meeting every time it decides to hang and has to be restarted, because the state of being let into the meeting once is not persistently saved during a session.

My 3 Latest crashes which happened within 10 minutes of each other had this in common:

ExceptionType: 13
GUIResourceCount: 3872

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bonded8589
Listener

I have tried this solution now and will report back whether this worked, when I have tried it out.

https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Different-view-modes-freezing-during-a-meeting/m-p/134979/hig...

But if that actually happens to solve the problem, then the "Auto" setting there is utter garbage and there are unhandeled exceptions somewhere in the encoding/decoding pipeline.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Bonded8589
Listener

I have tried this solution now and will report back whether this worked, when I have tried it out.

https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Different-view-modes-freezing-during-a-meeting/m-p/134979/hig...

But if that actually happens to solve the problem, then the "Auto" setting there is utter garbage and there are unhandeled exceptions somewhere in the encoding/decoding pipeline.

Bonded8589
Listener

I can confirm now that this was the solution, which reinforces that the automatic setting of Zoom for video encoding is, indeed, terribly programmed and makes the whole application unstable