cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom capturing screen while logged out of Zoom

barde14
Listener

Has anyone ever encountered the Zoom capturing your screen while not logged into Zoom?

On my Mac, I noticed a purple screen icon pop up in the menu bar at the top. When I left clicked, it said "zoom.us is capturing your screen." There was no way to exit I then logged into the Zoom app to check the settings, but I could not find anything relevant. I logged out of Zoom and the icon was still there. When I checked tried to Force Quit, Zoom was not found in the list for me to terminate. I ultimately shut down my computer, and when I turned it back on, the icon was gone.

21 REPLIES 21

LyssLynne
Listener

I am having the same issue except I turned my computer off and back on and it is there again. Anyone know how to fix this or what this icon means? 

I have Macbook Pro Sonoma 14.0. I shut down the computer and the icon went off. 

dregar
Listener

I am having the same issue on Mac Sonoma. I tried turning off Zoom to screen share in Privacy & Security (systems setting), but the purple icon still appears. No idea how to fix it. 

lml193
Listener

I just noticed zoom is capturing my screen even though I quit out of Zoom and do not have screening capturing active in my settings. Anyone know how to turn this off? It feels like an invasion of privacy. 

Yusf
Listener

I also have the same issue with Mac Sonoma. This is freaking my out hoonestly 

menotyou
Listener

Is anyone planning to answer this, or are they hoping we'll ignore it. . . Because we won't.

Polinet
Listener

Same here. Very unnerving.

I did click "screen capture" in chat trying to help someone on the call troubleshoot an issue. But closed out of it straight away. And have completely quit zoom now. I do think its a rogue icon more than zoom spying on our screens but still needs addressing.

pilotguy98561
Listener

Yes, same here. I'm not logged into the Zoom app on my desktop but the icon is showing. MacBook Air 15", Sonoma 14. 

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 3.13.31 PM.png

rschildge
Listener

I'm experiencing the same thing. 

espressogoddess
Listener

same issue here!

jtlholly
Listener

Same issue here - although I didn't do any screen recording during the last two calls I was on. 

hypnoticscott
Listener

Same here. Just finished a call on someone else's account - no recording - and twenty minutes later I noticed that icon and message. Maybe it is some kink in the Sonoma update and Zoom? The OP is three weeks ago, they might want to address this....

WaqasMahroof
Listener

Same here. 

WaqasMahroof_0-1698136898367.png

hypnoticscott
Listener

*UPDATE* After over an hour chatting with the support reps, it appears this is some glitch caused by the new Sonoma update and Zoom not playing nice. The Screen Capture feature is a sub-function inside the chat sub-function that is only active during a meeting so it is most likely that the glitch is causing the notification to pop up after a meeting (like a false positive test) but not actually capturing the screen. You can completely kill the Screen Record function by going to System Settings > Privacy and Security > Screen recordings and disabling Zoom's Screen Recording function. If this is a function you use, you will need to remember to turn it back on prior to a meeting because you cannot toggle this while meetings are active.

Also, if you are having this issue REPORT IT TO SUPPORT!! Part of the problem is that Zoom had only one other trouble ticket when I reported it to them even though there are a dozen messages in this thread. They don't monitor these forums so we have to be proactive. We can't be mad at them for not fixing an issue they weren't told about. LOL

WaqasMahroof
Listener

Thank you for sharing this detailed information about the issue you encountered with Zoom and the Sonoma update. Really appreciate it. 🙂  easiest thing to do is to lodge a ticket and rightfully said that it should be the first thing to be done. Usually we come to these platforms and look for a sol and rant to be honest. 🙂 

hypnoticscott
Listener

*UPDATE #2*

I just got an email that seems to read that this issue is due to an update in the Mac version of Zoom's software, they are aware of it but do not have a fix yet (aside from turning it off through System Settings):

"I judt got a respons from the backend team and the message showing on your meeting it is included in the new update that was release recently. And that is only for Mac users. Right now, we do not have a way for it turn it off. I apologize for the inconvenience."

crawfordna
Listener

Same issue here ... also happens when OBS is configured to capture a screen or application. Running Sonoma 14.1.

Fred7
Listener

It's creepy, buggy — and illegal???

Fred7
Listener

Since I don't see where / how to start a new thread, Zoom started up my camera (external) every night for years when I put it in sleep mode. Had to go into zoom, start a meeting, stop it, and exit zoom. But only for a few years. 

narb
Listener

SOLVED:  So first go to macOS System Settings > Privacy & Security > Screen Recording & System Audio

Then completely remove Zoom from the "allowed applications using the "-" button".

Then Quit Zoom.

Then Turn off your Mac completely and turn back on.

BOOM.  Gone !

Sak1012
Listener

Open your terminal and paste this command
`killall -m Control Center`
and hit enter, this will restart the control centre and it should be gone
(Or)
1. Open Activity Monitor
2. Search "Control Centre"
3. Double click and select Quit