cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Not Recording Whole Meeting

GR32_ACBSP
Listener

I have a user who's hosting several hours-long meetings/workshops. She always records these meetings. I have all users on our our Zoom account set to:

• Auto-record meetings (though the host does have the ability to start/stop the recordings at their leisure)
  • Record to our Cloud Storage (this cannot be changed by non-admin hosts)

On review of the recordings after the meetings, however, she's noticed that the recordings are sometimes cut off. About a month ago, it was about the last 10min that wasn't recorded. Not that big of a deal, though still annoying. But for yesterday's meeting, a whole 1.5 hours wasn't recorded. That's a big problem.

In the last 3yrs of using Zoom and being an admin, she's the only one I've come across having this problem. She is not the first in our organization to host and record long meetings.

Additional details: 

• She has a Pro License assigned.
  • She should have the latest version of Zoom for Windows, as I updated her Zoom client last week.
  • About 30-50 people in these meetings that last several hours.
  • We have plenty of Cloud Storage available (only using about 33GB of 250GB)

Why might this be happening? If she also chooses to record locally, might that be conflicting with the cloud recording as well? As in, if she runs out of storage space locally, does that stop the recording, even if I'm forcing cloud recording? Is there any indication that a recording is stopping if this happens?

How do recordings work anyway? Are these recorded locally first, and then Zoom automatically uploads these to the cloud?

More importantly, for anyone who's had this happen, how did you fix it?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GR32_ACBSP
Listener

OK, so I figured out what was going on...And there's no error on Zoom's part.

I started reviewing the meeting recording, which Zoom broke into two parts. No big deal, that happens with long meeting recordings. When I watched the ending of the second part, it was clear from the presenter's words that the meeting was over. That was confusing; I thought the last 1.5hrs was missing.

Wait...how long was the second part? 1.5.hrs. Huh...How many recording files did she have? Oh, just one, not two.

Apparently, the user did not see there was a second part of the recording. Zoom notified the user via email that the meeting recording was ready. Rather than signing into their Zoom web portal, they went straight to the page that plays the recording and allows them to download the recording + separate audio + transcript. This is usually what would be shared with a meeting participant.

When they clicked download, it only downloaded the recording and relevant files for the first part of the recording. And it's not immediately obvious that there's a second part. Only at the bottom of the video player, in small text, does it show that there's a second recording.

I showed the user and they were a bit embarrassed that they didn't notice that. I suggested they only use the web portal to download recordings -- all parts -- in the future.

So user error, but I chalk it up partly to a less than ideal Zoom UI in that situation.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

GR32_ACBSP
Listener

OK, so I figured out what was going on...And there's no error on Zoom's part.

I started reviewing the meeting recording, which Zoom broke into two parts. No big deal, that happens with long meeting recordings. When I watched the ending of the second part, it was clear from the presenter's words that the meeting was over. That was confusing; I thought the last 1.5hrs was missing.

Wait...how long was the second part? 1.5.hrs. Huh...How many recording files did she have? Oh, just one, not two.

Apparently, the user did not see there was a second part of the recording. Zoom notified the user via email that the meeting recording was ready. Rather than signing into their Zoom web portal, they went straight to the page that plays the recording and allows them to download the recording + separate audio + transcript. This is usually what would be shared with a meeting participant.

When they clicked download, it only downloaded the recording and relevant files for the first part of the recording. And it's not immediately obvious that there's a second part. Only at the bottom of the video player, in small text, does it show that there's a second recording.

I showed the user and they were a bit embarrassed that they didn't notice that. I suggested they only use the web portal to download recordings -- all parts -- in the future.

So user error, but I chalk it up partly to a less than ideal Zoom UI in that situation.