cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Zoom AutoUpdates

wamu
Listener

Does Zoom auto update (AU2_EnableAutoUpdate) work even when the app is not open? If not is there such a feature 

9 REPLIES 9

Vinnie
Community Champion | Customer

Generally speaking, the App needs running for Zoom to have visibility (and "control") with the ability to push an update, and this should be valid for Zoom Rooms, Controllers, Digital Signage, and Zoom Client. To push an update to the Device that is not running the App you will need a management application for the devices (i.e. Windows, Mac, etc.).

I am not sure exactly what is your use case but I will adventure to say that out of the box doesn't do what you want to do, and in general this is valid for all the apps. It is the App and not the OS that is checking if there is an update, unless you are installing from a Central Software Repository so the OS itself goes to check periodically if there is a new version regardless if the App us Running or no: i.e. Microsoft Store, App Store, Play Store, etc.

There are third-party tool that you can install in computers that facilitate the process of updating apps: Intune, JAMF, ManageEngine Device Central, etc.

I hope this provides some light.

I am currently using Intune to push the zoom app (win32). Here is my install command: msiexec /i "ZoomInstallerFull.msi" /qn /lex zoommsi.log zNoDesktopShortCut=True zConfig="AU2_EnableAutoUpdate=1;AU2_SetUpdateChannel=0;AU2_EnableShowZoomUpdates=0;AU2_EnableUpdateAvailableBanner=0;AU2_EnableManualUpdate=1"

Since I have auto-update enabled, does Zoom have a background update service similar to Chrome? Can it update even when the app is not open? My concern is that some users rarely open the app while others do so frequently. This could lead to issues, especially when I try to supersede the old version. I assume this might be problematic if some users have an updated version of Zoom while others don't

Vinnie

Ok, you are covering multiple areas here so I will see how I can answer:

• I like your analogy with Chrome; I don't know if the background update is implemented like Chrome but functionally speaking, the answer is yes: Chrome needs to be running and it prompts a Banner/Message indicating the users there is an update and let them apply it at their convenience; same with Zoom, although is some cases for critical updates Zoom might not let you login if you don't update, or if you reboot it might execute the update automatically the next time you try to run the application, etc.
  • We use Intune as well (I assume the flags are OK for you use case and at a glance seems fine); the issue with Intune is that depending of how you set it up, it can force the update/upgrade without asking the users and without considering if the user is in a meeting: It will literally kicked the user off the meeting to do the upgrade. There is a Flag in Intune "Ignore app version" which forces the user to have exactly the version you have published in Intune: This causes issues for us on a regular basis if we leave it disabled because Intune doesn't discriminate and disrupts users with a different version; we use this ONLY for first time deployments, or when we want to force-push a particular version to unify everybody to the latest. Also, we install as "Device Context" and not "User Context" so the version is attached to anybody using the machine if it needs to be shared.
  • We have also added flags to: Start Zoom App automatically, Start in the Background, and Start Minimized so that way we assure no user intervention to always have Zoom running and checking for updates because security is very important and those updates some times come with security fixes. I would suggest to add those flags to your Intune Installation Profile.
  • Along with this we also are pushing a "User Culture/Awareness" of keeping the apps updated; the "human factor" is always something you will have to deal with.

The above recommendation is based on what is working for us, and I am explaining why is so, but it might not be exactly your case.

Vinnie

I will test your recommendation and hopefully it works for me as well. Thanks

Vinnie

Hello @wamu 
Did the settings helped to achieve what you were looking for in any way? 

Is it possible to see your install command ?

Vinnie

I don't have the final one as another team was working on the deployment and some changes where make as from the Zoom documentation was a bit confusing about using "true/false" or "1/0" for the Boolean values (different examples have different values"...but it is something like below; we used both ZCONFIG and ZRECOMMEND.

Some might have been removed because not needed or because the default value already included it.

ZConfig="AU2_EnableAutoUpdate=true;AU2_SetUpdateChannel=0;AU2_EnablePromptUpdateForAU2=true;AU2_InstallAtIdleTime=true;EnableAppleLogin=0;NoFacebook=1;NoGoogle=1;AutoSSOLogin=1;AutoFullScreenWhenViewShare=0;ShowZoomWinWhenSharing=1;ShowConnectedTime=1;ZoomAutoUpdate=true" ZRecommend="AutoStartAfterReboot=1;kCmdParam_InstallOption=72"

Thanks 

JimmieKemmer
Listener

the auto-update feature in Zoom typically requires the application to be running to initiate updates. If you have concerns or specific requirements, it's best to check the latest settings and features directly within the Zoom application