cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoomの字幕に翻訳を取り入れて,外国人同士が母国語でコミュニケーション:With translation incorporated into the subtitles of Zoom, forei

Shigeru1
Newcomer
Newcomer

Zoomの字幕(テロップ)について,多言語に翻訳した結果も表示できるようにすることは,技術的に可能ですか?

例えば,話者1:日本人が日本語で発言する。
話者2:フランス人がフランス語で発言する。
この場合,字幕は,3段にする。

日本人が発言している時は,
第1行:日本語
第2行:英語
第3行:フランス語

フランス人が発言しているときは,
第1行:フランス語
第2行:英語
第3行:日本語

このようにして外国人同士が,母国語で話しながら,字幕は,相手の国の言葉と英語に自動的に翻訳さて,コミュニケーションが取れると嬉しい。

Is it technically possible to display subtitles (tickers) for Zoom that have been translated into multiple languages?

For example, Speaker 1: Japanese speaking in Japanese.
Speaker 2: A French person speaks in French.
In this case, the subtitle should have three tiers.

When a Japanese speaker is speaking
First line: Japanese
2nd line: English
3rd line: French

When a French person is speaking
Line 1: French
2nd line: English
3rd line: Japanese

In this way, foreigners can communicate with each other while speaking in their native language, and the subtitles are automatically translated into the language of the other country and English.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @Shigeru1 

Unfortunately, its not possible to display all captions simultaneously as you described. When using Zoom's translated captions feature, each participant can choose what language they wish to see the captions in. As the captions are generated for each speaker, they are then translated from that speaker's current language to the languages chosen by participants using the translated captions, but those users do not both sets of captions, only the captions in the language they chose to see. 

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Otherwise, make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Bort

Hi @Shigeru1 

Unfortunately, its not possible to display all captions simultaneously as you described. When using Zoom's translated captions feature, each participant can choose what language they wish to see the captions in. As the captions are generated for each speaker, they are then translated from that speaker's current language to the languages chosen by participants using the translated captions, but those users do not both sets of captions, only the captions in the language they chose to see. 

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Otherwise, make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Thank you for your prompt response.

The captioning feature of Zoom is very useful.
And I understand your answer well. However, I would be glad if you could listen to my request (a pipe dream) as follows.

I am Japanese and I can read Chinese but not understand it by listening. I can understand Chinese characters even if I cannot hear their pronunciation, because Chinese characters and Japanese characters have a lot of common parts.

The other day, I had the following valuable experience through Zoom.

I was having a conversation in Japanese with a Chinese friend who speaks Japanese via Zoom.
At that time, my Chinese friend received a phone call from a Chinese acquaintance.
My Chinese friend made the phone call audible in Zoom, and I immediately switched the Zoom captions from Japanese to Chinese.
Then, Zoom displayed the phone conversation with Chinese captions, so I could understand what was being said as I do not speak Chinese but can read Chinese.

After the call, my friend was really surprised to know that I, who did not speak Chinese, understood the entire content of the Chinese phone conversation.

Based on this experience, I thought that if the captioning became "multilingual," I could enjoy Zoom with Chinese people who cannot speak Japanese and English, me in Japanese and the Chinese in Chinese.

In other words, I envisioned a "three-line caption structure.

<Captions for Chinese speakers>
First line: Chinese (transcription of the speaker's conversation)
Second line: English (English translation of the speaker's conversation)
Third line: Japanese (Japanese translation of the speaker's conversation)

<Caption for a Japanese speaker>
1st line: Japanese (transcription of speaker's conversation)
Line 2: English (English translation of the speaker's conversation)
Third line: Chinese (Chinese translation of the speaker's conversation)

It would be wonderful if Zoom users could select such a three-line configuration.

Although it may be technically difficult, if such a "three-line captioning concept" is realized, I believe that the use of Zoom will increase dramatically.
This is because there are many people in Japan who do not speak English or any other foreign language, but can read.

I sincerely hope that one day such a dream will come true.

Hey @Shigeru1 I appreciate your feedback! According to @Bort, it is currently not possible to display all captions simultaneously. However, Zoom welcomes feedback like the use cases you mentioned above. Could you please send feedback to Zoom? We are constantly trying to innovate and improve, thank you! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!