cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 Blue Screen Crashes

DesDekker
Listener

I am running WIndows 11 Home on a x64 Dell XPS 13 laptop.  Latest versions of Windows (10.0.2263) and Zoom (5.16.10 - 26186) installed.

Every time Zoom accesses my camera, the light comes on and then WIndows 11 gives me a blue screen error (BSOD).. This occurs when I try to access Video settings, Background setting, click an invitation to a meeting, or enter meeting specifics manually.

At this point, it is impossible for me to use Zoom (I have already had to replace my motherboard due to this)

Any suggestions?

TIA

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bumbling_Wizard
Listener

I'm chasing a similar bluescreen error on a Dell Precision laptop and found from the dump logs that the issue is likely DirectX related. I came to this conclusion because dxgmms2.sys came up in the dump log next to watchdog.sys and ntoskrnl.exe. If your issue is also directX related, a few things to try:

- Disabling Hardware Acceleration (Settings > Video > Advanced > "Use hardware acceleration for..."

- Manually specifying Video Rendering, Post Processing, and Capture methods (Also in Settings > Video > Advanced)

- Check driver versions. (Update or roll-back to see if this solves the issue)

View solution in original post

After a lot of testing, it turned out that my problem was required a screen replacement. Too bad that it took 3 trips to the Dell facility to work that out!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

bumbling_Wizard
Listener

I'm chasing a similar bluescreen error on a Dell Precision laptop and found from the dump logs that the issue is likely DirectX related. I came to this conclusion because dxgmms2.sys came up in the dump log next to watchdog.sys and ntoskrnl.exe. If your issue is also directX related, a few things to try:

- Disabling Hardware Acceleration (Settings > Video > Advanced > "Use hardware acceleration for..."

- Manually specifying Video Rendering, Post Processing, and Capture methods (Also in Settings > Video > Advanced)

- Check driver versions. (Update or roll-back to see if this solves the issue)

DesDekker
Listener

Thanks bumbling_Wizard. I’ve found elsewhere that a recent Windows update has been the source of many similar issues. In my case, the computer would crash every time the camera was accessed, even by loading the camera app.  Have uninstalled and reinstalled driver several times, and even reinstalled the operating system a number of times. Still trying to sort it out though!

Hey DesDekker, I am having a similar issue... Were you able to fix this issue? Do you happen to know which windows update caused it? Thanks!

After a lot of testing, it turned out that my problem was required a screen replacement. Too bad that it took 3 trips to the Dell facility to work that out!

Halu
Listener

Ok, there really isn't a "solution" here, despite the tag.  Replacing the screen -- for using zoom?  That is like using a cannon to shoot a fly.  Great that it worked for DesDekker, but there must be another way.  Here is something that I found.  The problem seems to be the camera, not zoom.  Go to "settings", search for "video", click on "change default settings for your camera" (a Logitech B910 in my case).  Once I click on that camera, I get a blue screen and the system crashes.  (BTW, I couldn't find "Settings > Video > Advanced ...", as recommended by bumbling_Wizard).  So, now that I know it is the camera, let me search for a solution.  Isolating the problem is the first step, so I figured it is useful to share it here.

Ok, I solved it --- and the solution was embarrassingly simple.  The camera was not plugged into a USB port.  So, apparently, when trying to use it, that crashes the system (bad, bad software!  C'est la vie).  I plugged it into a (functioning) USB port and voila: all works.  If that doesn't do the trick for you, try another USB port.  If that still does not work, I suggest to search for "device" to open the Device Manager, find "Sound, video and game controllers" and right-click on your camera.  "Update" the driver.  Or, for a more radical step, "Uninstall device" and reboot: upon reboot, the system will reinstall it, with an appropriate driver.  I hope one of these works for you.  Good luck.