cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual background disabled in account settings, however participants still can use it?

EllyC
Listener

Hi,

I have disabled the virtual background and video filters under settings, however when we start a meeting, all participants are still able to use virtual background except the host? Are there further settings that I missed out? Anyone has the same experience?

Appreciate your feedback.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @EllyC 

Disabling Virtual Background on the Account level (and locking that setting) will only affect users who are on your account and are signed-in to that account when joining a meeting you host. Are you requiring your attendees to be authenticated when joining? If not, they could simply be joining outside of their account and thus still able to access that setting in the client. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mint
Listener

Me too.

Mint_

Bort

Hi @EllyC 

Disabling Virtual Background on the Account level (and locking that setting) will only affect users who are on your account and are signed-in to that account when joining a meeting you host. Are you requiring your attendees to be authenticated when joining? If not, they could simply be joining outside of their account and thus still able to access that setting in the client. 

Zoom: This needs to be fixed. As there are many many reasons why people might join not using their registered account, not to mention guests, there needs to be a way to completely disable using virtual backgrounds as an overall meeting setting. Backgrounds can range from mildly distracting to totally distracting to vulgar or inappropriate. Of course we can stop their video, but that drastic step wouldn't be necessary if it were disabled in the first place.  This is especially relevant when there is a guest presenter/speaker who has it enabled who thinks it is 'helpful'.

Zoom: please give the host the ability to completely disable the virtual backgrounds for account AND non-account participants.

Bort

That would likely be a privacy issue, as you would be controlling the video settings of users you do not have authority over and could potentially reveal surroundings they do not want seen in a meeting. 

You can certainly submit any product feedback by visiting our Zoom Feedback form, which is the official way to share any feedback or feature requests with the Zoom team. Thanks!

I appreciate the reply, but does anyone rely on filters to shield their privacy? Even when they're enabled, you can see parts of the background when the person moves. I have to believe that if a person chooses to turn their camera on, they're foregoing their privacy regardless of filter settings.

And even if that were the case, there could be a notification when they joined that 'filters have been disabled' giving them the option to turn on the camera or not. This is similar to the feature where the host has set the ability to unmute the microphone. A notification is given before the meeting to all participants this is the setting. 

Arziki
Listener

e