cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Terms and Services - Significant Privacy Violation

districtbliss
Listener

Zoom’s latest updates to its terms of service make data privacy a core issue for the platform. Zoom’s terms of service update effective as of today, Monday 7th August, establishes the video platform’s right to use some customer data for training its AI models.

I am holding off on closing my Zoom account (you do you), but I recommend removing any data stored with Zoom immediately.

Sections 10.2 and 10.4 of their terms establish Zoom’s rights to compile and utilize “Service Generated Data,” which is telemetry data, product usage data, diagnostic data, and similar content or data that Zoom collects in connection with users’ use of their services or software.

They are also securing a “perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license” to redistribute, publish, access, use, store, transmit, review, disclose, preserve, extract, modify, reproduce, share, use, display, copy, distribute, translate, transcribe, create derivative works, and process Customer Content.

5 REPLIES 5

VA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

We’ve updated our terms of service (in section 10.4) to further confirm that we will not use audio, video, or chat customer content to train our artificial intelligence models without your consent. Our blog post has the most up to date information.

Virginia (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Permissionissue
Listener

When do I signal my consent (or not) for you to use my data for your AI training? Please clarify for everyone. 

@Permissionissue Zoom Generative AI features are default offZoom customers decide whether to enable generative AI features, and separately whether to share customer content with Zoom for product improvement purposes. Examples of what it looks like for account owners or admins to opt in, including the pop-ups that meeting attendees will see, are available in our blog post under "Account owners or administrators provide consent"

Virginia (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Permissionissue
Listener

I read your blog in its entirety. You refer to me being able to "give consent" for your new generative AI features and how and when to do that, but you do not clarify how we provide Zoom consent for the content that you describe in this section of the blog (see below). That is what we need you to provide all of your users so we can say 'yes' or 'no'. Please detail this permission process. 

1. In Section 10.4, our intention was to make sure that if we provided value-added services (such as a meeting recording), we would have the ability to do so without questions of usage rights. The meeting recording is still owned by the customer, and we have a license to that content in order to deliver the service of recording. An example of a machine learning service for which we need license and usage rights is our automated scanning of webinar invites / reminders to make sure that we aren’t unwittingly being used to spam or defraud participants. The customer owns the underlying webinar invite, and we are licensed to provide the service on top of that content.  For AI, we do not use audio, video, or chat content for training our models without customer consent.

ambersamaya
Listener

... they will wait until we forget and then put it in anyway.