cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off waiting room during presentation

NemanMTX
Attendee

Hi. We're hosting internal presentations on Zoom Meetings. Some of our guest presenters will be external (different email domain), some internal to our company (same email domain). I'll be made a co-host by the meeting creator.

I want some private prep time with the guest presenter prior to allowing everyone to join to do A/V checks, housekeeping, and the like. It'll be me, the host, and the presenter. A few minutes before the scheduled meeting time, I'll allow the attendees in.

If we enable the Waiting Room feature, we can let the guest presenter in, and up to a few dozen people will be waiting.

1. Can we allow everyone in at once?

2. Can the Waiting Room be disabled so late attendees can come in without host interaction?

3. Is the Waiting Room the best way to resolve this problem?

4. At the end of the presentation, can I kick everyone out except those designated as host/co-host/presenter (i.e. everyone who was in the Waiting Room) as a group? Or do they need to be manually removed one-by-one?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello,
My name is Brandon. Thanks for joining the Zoom Community! The answer to this question would be a resounding yes to all. As the host or co-host, you can either let one or admit all participants into the meeting at one time. Host and Co-Host controls allow you to click on the security button and disable the waiting room at any time throughout the meeting to allow your participants to enter without having to go into the waiting room. Using the participant's button will allow you to remove participants at any time throughout the meeting to allow only the participants that you want to stay at the end of the meeting. Please see the linked support article if you have any further questions about Host and Co-Host controls

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

View solution in original post

J-Zoom-ATL

@NemanMTX 

Yes, you will have an "Admit All" button in the participants pane. 

2. Can the Waiting Room be disabled so late attendees can come in without host interaction?

Yes, you can open the "Security" feature and disable/enable waiting room when needed. 

Yes, I would agree. However, you may want to consider doing a webinar if you are going to have panelists presenting to an audience that doesn't need to interact as much. With webinar you can utilize the practice session feature to practice before the webinar begins. No attendees can join during that time. 

Practice Session 

4. At the end of the presentation, can I kick everyone out except those designated as host/co-host/presenter (i.e. everyone who was in the Waiting Room) as a group? Or do they need to be manually removed one-by-one?

This will need to be done one by one

Reference: Waiting Room  

If this answer helped solve your question/issue, please hit the "Accept as Solution" button below.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

YaBoiB

Hello,
My name is Brandon. Thanks for joining the Zoom Community! The answer to this question would be a resounding yes to all. As the host or co-host, you can either let one or admit all participants into the meeting at one time. Host and Co-Host controls allow you to click on the security button and disable the waiting room at any time throughout the meeting to allow your participants to enter without having to go into the waiting room. Using the participant's button will allow you to remove participants at any time throughout the meeting to allow only the participants that you want to stay at the end of the meeting. Please see the linked support article if you have any further questions about Host and Co-Host controls

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Hi Brandon! I appreciate the answer here about the ability to disable the waiting room during a meeting; however, I'm having trouble with that because the option is greyed out in the Security tab so I'm not able to toggle on or off. Do you have any ideas regarding this? 

SylviaF_0-1652816027463.png

YaBoiB

Hi @SylviaF

That tells me that your Admins have locked that ability for some reason, so you would need to reach out to your organization's Zoom Admins to determine why this setting is locked. Zoom does not lock settings by default. Only an IT team for a company or organization can do this function. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Hello, when in the meeting the "enable waiting room" option is greyed out. I have contacted Zoom support twice to figure out how to change this and have not received a solution. Do you have any ideas? It is not locked in the Admin panel or Personal settings. 

NemanMTX
Attendee

As per https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115000332726-Waiting-Room

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Would still appreciate some thoughts here

4. Would still appreciate some thoughts here

J-Zoom-ATL

@NemanMTX 

Yes, you will have an "Admit All" button in the participants pane. 

Yes, you can open the "Security" feature and disable/enable waiting room when needed. 

Yes, I would agree. However, you may want to consider doing a webinar if you are going to have panelists presenting to an audience that doesn't need to interact as much. With webinar you can utilize the practice session feature to practice before the webinar begins. No attendees can join during that time. 

Practice Session 

This will need to be done one by one

Reference: Waiting Room  

If this answer helped solve your question/issue, please hit the "Accept as Solution" button below.

NemanMTX
Attendee

Many thanks @YaBoiB and @J-Zoom-ATL! I appreciate the speed and clarity of your responses. For the record, I have to stick with Zoom Meetings right now (these are already scheduled), but will consider Zoom Webinars as well.

YaBoiB

Hello @NemanMTX , 

Webinar is different but the host capabilities work the same with some slight small differences in the platform where you will see participants and attendees in the webinar product and only participants in the meeting product. I am happy that we were able to assist you. If this reply offers you a solution please do not forget to click on the "accept as a solution" button. Thanks and happy meetings ahead for you and yours. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion