cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch Zoom camera Flicker reduction from 60 Hz to 50 Hz

Sompoy
Listener

I've been having this irritating flickering on Zoom.

If this happens on a laptop camera, I would just switch it from 60 Hz to 50 Hz. Then the problem's solved.

However, I couldn't find this option on the Zoom camera settings, and it causes flicking when the camera is on.
I'm wondering if there are any other options on Zoom available to solve this.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hime-Tama
Listener

I once had this problem while using my laptop camera in zoom. The way I solved it at the time was to use OBS ( Open Broadcasting Software), to put my laptop camera such that it filled the entire scene, then going into OBS settings to adjust the framerate of the video input like you did on your laptop until it stops flickering. You can then adjust the video output settings to match Zoom's 60 or 30 fps and then use the OBS virtual camera in Zoom. This is an extremely roundabout method and is in no way a permanent fix. As I do not know what your zoom settings, camera model or meeting environment is, it's really hard for me to give you a concrete answer...

hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

Thank you Hime-Tama for your input on the meeting environment. I've just tested the camera on natural light, and the flickering's disappeared. So the problem might be about the light sources.  After testing all the light bulbs and replace the culprit, I am now able to get rid of the flicker.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hime-Tama
Listener

I once had this problem while using my laptop camera in zoom. The way I solved it at the time was to use OBS ( Open Broadcasting Software), to put my laptop camera such that it filled the entire scene, then going into OBS settings to adjust the framerate of the video input like you did on your laptop until it stops flickering. You can then adjust the video output settings to match Zoom's 60 or 30 fps and then use the OBS virtual camera in Zoom. This is an extremely roundabout method and is in no way a permanent fix. As I do not know what your zoom settings, camera model or meeting environment is, it's really hard for me to give you a concrete answer...

hope this helps. 

Thank you Hime-Tama for your input on the meeting environment. I've just tested the camera on natural light, and the flickering's disappeared. So the problem might be about the light sources.  After testing all the light bulbs and replace the culprit, I am now able to get rid of the flicker.

NJR_2020
Listener

Go to Zoom Settings >> Video >> Advanced >> Change Video Rendering Method to Direct3D11

Just worked for me!

That did it NJR_2020. Amazing that you're the one who found it while Zoom does not document it. Great job and thank you.

mhikmet
Listener

I use Microsoft Surface. When I change to the 50Hz filter using other applications like (surface or Teams), I can get rid of the flickering. however, once I restart Zoom again, the flickering resumes

Appreciate if I can get any help. The Direct3D11 didn't help and I don't use OBS 

Has anyone found a solution for this? I have the same problem - have tried all the different Direct3D11, etc. options and restarting Zoom each time but doesn't work, and can solve for other apps (Windows camera, MS Teams) by changing to 50Hz but can't do this in Zoom and still get flicker.

I've tried changing LED bulb in room for compact fluorescent with no improvement, and can't buy incandescent bulbs anymore!

I am using a Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 on an Asus notebook, and can find no ant-flicker settings in Zoom or Windows device settings.

Thanks.

I have the same problem, and the only solution that works consistently is to open Zoom and enable my camera, then open the "Camera" app in windows. When I open "Camera", the video flickering in Zoom immediately stops. 

When I change to the 50Hz filter using other applications like (surface or Teams), I can get rid of the flickering.

Thanks that works. Teams indeed gives access to the legacy USB Webcam UI from Windows where the refresh rate can be selected, nice find. 

zoomprof
Listener

I have the same problem. I think it is related to the lighting.  when I turn the fluorescent lights off, the flicker goes away.  But the instructions for how to reduce flicker reduction from 60Hz to 50Hz don't follow steps that I can follow in my zoom instance (path isn't there).  You could try reducing to 50Hz if those instructions work for you.

Joseph_George
Listener

The solution that worked for me is during the meeting off the camera in zoom, and go to the windows camera app, then select the settings of the camera app (top left corner) and click video settings and set the camera to 50 hz, then close the camera app and switch to zoom and turn on the camera in zoom