cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some students see a black screen when screen sharing

raldrich
Listener

Hello, I am an online teacher, and since the beginning of the school year, some students are seeing a black screen when I share my screen. I am using Zoom 5.16.6 on Windows 11 with a Lenovo laptop (not sure what indentifying Lenovo info to include). I used the Zoom standard troubleshooting, where it says to look at program settings under Manage 3D settings and to click on the cpthost.exe file, but it isn't there. My kids can't see what I'm teaching about and are being impacted by this. Please help.

4 REPLIES 4

bstrelko
Community Champion | Customer

What are you sharing (specific application window, whole display, portion of display, video, etc) when this issue presents itself?

You may wish to use Zoom's advanced sharing settings to see if the issue is persistent across various capture modes (calling particular attention to the 'Legacy' option):

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4412661227789-Managing-advanced-screen-sharing-settings

You can also try toggling off (or on) hardware acceleration to see if there is any change.

raldrich
Listener

Pear Deck or just plain Slides, websites, videos. But not all students get a black screen, so I don't know if it's them or me.

bstrelko

Got it - it looks like the legacy capture option may still help you out:

• Legacy/Previous operating systems: This option can be applicable if you are not on the latest Windows or macOS operating systems, or don't have certain video drivers. If this option isn't enabled, a blank screen may appear on participants' screens while the host shares their screen.
    Note: If Show Zoom windows during screen share is enabled, the screen capture mode will override that setting.

bstrelko

@raldrich , any update on this?