cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering a Recording

Healthy4Life
Listener

I updated my Zoom account while it was still processing a recording, before it had downloaded it to my computer. I need that recording. Does anyone know how I might be able to retrieve it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ZoomTestKitchen
Community Champion | Customer

There are a few approaches to potentially fixing this issue...

Solution #1

1. Navigate to the folder where the recordings are being saved.
  2. Double-click on the filename "double_click_to_convert.zoom"
  3. That should start the conversion process manually.
  4. If it doesn't and still fails then try the following.

Solution #2

1. Locate the file "zTscoder.exe" on your file system
  2. On a Windows system it is usually here: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\bin
  3. You need to execute zTscoder.exe "filepath\filename" of the recording file.

Solution #3

If that doesn't work, then very carefully follow these steps.
WARNING: Make a copy of any file that your going to attempt to replace or convert prior to attempting these steps.

1. Copy the ".zoom" files that will not convert to another location on your computer, or as a different name in the same folder.
  2. Open Zoom, Start a new meeting, and Start Recording that meeting.
  3. Then Pause (DO NOT STOP) the recording in that active meeting.
  4. Go to the LOCAL directory where the recordings are being saved as “.zoom” files. They are there even from the meeting that is currently running, but remember, the recording is paused, so they are not currently being written to.
  5. Copy the “.zoom” recording files (the ones that you made a copy of that wouldn't convert earlier) and PASTE them on top of the new and currently paused recording files of the active meeting.
  6. SUPER IMPORTANT:   D O   N O T   U N P A U S E the Recording, but do go into the running Zoom meeting and End the Meeting.
  7. Ending the meeting will trigger Zoom to auto-convert the recorded files (these files are now your files that wouldn't previously convert) and it works almost every time. It converts the files that failed earlier.
  8. If it doesn't convert using this method then I'm afraid that the files are corrupted beyond repair. Maybe a power outage, or shutting the computer down or the lid of the laptop prior to the conversion being completed, etc.

If you find this information helpful, please click on "Accept as Solution".

If you have further questions, please reply, we're happy to help.

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ZoomTestKitchen

There are a few approaches to potentially fixing this issue...

Solution #1

1. Navigate to the folder where the recordings are being saved.
  2. Double-click on the filename "double_click_to_convert.zoom"
  3. That should start the conversion process manually.
  4. If it doesn't and still fails then try the following.

Solution #2

1. Locate the file "zTscoder.exe" on your file system
  2. On a Windows system it is usually here: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\bin
  3. You need to execute zTscoder.exe "filepath\filename" of the recording file.

Solution #3

If that doesn't work, then very carefully follow these steps.
WARNING: Make a copy of any file that your going to attempt to replace or convert prior to attempting these steps.

1. Copy the ".zoom" files that will not convert to another location on your computer, or as a different name in the same folder.
  2. Open Zoom, Start a new meeting, and Start Recording that meeting.
  3. Then Pause (DO NOT STOP) the recording in that active meeting.
  4. Go to the LOCAL directory where the recordings are being saved as “.zoom” files. They are there even from the meeting that is currently running, but remember, the recording is paused, so they are not currently being written to.
  5. Copy the “.zoom” recording files (the ones that you made a copy of that wouldn't convert earlier) and PASTE them on top of the new and currently paused recording files of the active meeting.
  6. SUPER IMPORTANT:   D O   N O T   U N P A U S E the Recording, but do go into the running Zoom meeting and End the Meeting.
  7. Ending the meeting will trigger Zoom to auto-convert the recorded files (these files are now your files that wouldn't previously convert) and it works almost every time. It converts the files that failed earlier.
  8. If it doesn't convert using this method then I'm afraid that the files are corrupted beyond repair. Maybe a power outage, or shutting the computer down or the lid of the laptop prior to the conversion being completed, etc.

If you find this information helpful, please click on "Accept as Solution".

If you have further questions, please reply, we're happy to help.

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

Video is not seen on the converted file, which is recovered using these steps.

Solution #3 worked for me. 

Thank you!

Healthy4Life
Listener

Solution #1 worked!! Hooray! Thank you so very much!

willjoe2442
Participant

The steps below describe how to recover a deleted recording or meeting from the cloud trash within 30 days.

Sign in to your zoom account through the Web Portal.

On the left, click on the tab called Recordings/Meetings.

Tap on Cloud Recordings/Meetings, then select Trash. Then you can see all your deleted cloud recordings within the past 30 days here.

You can use the meeting number to search the one you want or just scroll down to locate the deleted zoom meetings or recordings.

Click on Recover on the right to recover recordings/meetings.

Click on Recover again to confirm.

Regards,

Diana