cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record a meeting that another user is hosting

melnaslund
Listener

Hello-

I have worked with various people 1:1 via Zoom and each has said they have enabled me to be able to record the meetings (they are the host/owne of the meeting).  However, I am not given that option on my screen (not able to record like when I host a meeting).

If it had only been one person, I would have thought they were mistaken on the settings on their side.  But this has happened with multiple people now.

I don't see anything in my Settings that can change this.

Can someone help me out?!

12 REPLIES 12

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @melnaslund

I “think” this could be the setting that needs to be enabled on the other end when you are in a Zoom meeting with a 1:1, but of course, I do not think I would know why this is happening to you unless you and I were in a forum and you sent me a recording request. I will test this with a colleague today and provide my findings. I took this snapshot of a meeting that I was in by myself just now, and if you notice that the “Request recording permission” is not enabled or checked off, then if another participant were in this meeting with me, they would not be able to ask me to record. I do not know and will need to test if the participant can still request the recording permission, but I do not see it. I would assume that with this disabled, the other participant would not be able to request recording permission, but as I stated, I will test it with a co-worker today and let you know how that turns out. This is an interesting case, so I would like to follow up with you if possible. 

Regards,

Brandon 

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 4.13.25 PM.png

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

YaBoiB

Ok, I tested this and the participant asking for permission to record with this setting off is only told to ask the host for permission to record and there is an "ok" button, so I am not sure if that is the use case that you are running into but at least we have someplace to start. 

I do know that basic accounts are only allowed to record to the local drive, and paid accounts can record to the cloud, so it is possible that if the person that you are in a meeting with only has cloud recording enabled on their account and you are a basic user attempting to get cloud recording access it will not work. That is another scenario that we could entertain, but I do not want to assume that you are on a basic account. 

Thanks,

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

melnaslund
Listener

Thanks Brandon - any help I can get, I would appreciate!

As I mentioned, the host/owner of the meeting says they have enabled me to be able to record, but I don't see that as a button or option on my end.

YaBoiB

If you are a part of an account that does not allow recording then that would be the reason why. Do you admin your own account, or do you have an admin that administers your account for you? 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

YaBoiB

If you are an admin you will see an admin portal on the left side below your personal settings page. It will be assigned to your profile. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

melnaslund
Listener

I am an admin for a paid account.

melnaslund
Listener

My account is a Zoom One Pro.  I can record when it's my meeting of course.  But how do I record if I wasn't the one to schedule/setup the meeting?

YaBoiB

You would have to physically ask the Host of the meeting if you can record. As I showed in the screenshot above if the host does not want anyone to record their hosted meetings they can disable that setting in the security button while in-meeting and you would not know that the meeting cannot be recorded unless you physically ask the host. 

Thanks, 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

melnaslund
Listener

That's the problem - the host says they have enabled me to be able to record, but I don't see the ability to do that on my end,

YaBoiB

So the record button is not even present while in the meeting?

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

melnaslund
Listener

Correct!  

YaBoiB

Hello @melnaslund

I DM'd you so that we can work on this for you outside of the community forum. 

Thanks,

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion