cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PiP Portion of Screen Recording Limitation

gvision1
Listener

The PiP Virtual Background allows the presenter to be "inside" their presentation is great for recording high-quality video for asynchronous learning. Is there a reason why the same recording ability cannot happen with the 'Portion of Screen' option? If the self-view camera is placed "inside" of the portion of the screen that is ONLY to be recorded, why not allow the presenter inside this section also? Otherwise, it's no better than the 'regular' recording option. Again, this makes for good high-quality video recording - or at least to have that option. There is no need for the self-view background to be transparent in this mode, just allow the presenter to be in the portion as an option. This is for our Virtual Teachers to make focused lessons and all of them don't have Powerpoints, but instead, they rely on their course platform to record for teaching. Does this make sense to anyone or am I being a bit overbearing (which is not out of the question)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @gvision1.

I'm guessing that you are recording a meeting and at times screen sharing a full screen and at other times sharing a Portion of Screen.  What you're likely seeing is a result of the fact that the resolution (width and height) of the screen share video output is "fixed", using the highest resolution found in all of the screen sharing during the recording. I think what's happening (but I haven't tested this out, so it's an educated guess) is that the speaker video is just overlaid in the upper right corner, and maybe the videos with smaller resolution are tucked down into the lower left, or maybe centered.

It's never a bad thing to strive for perfection -- so I wouldn't call you "overbearing".  But you do have to "settle" for the limitations of the tool you are using.  For "evergreen content" -- videos that will truly have long-term value, and where you'll want the highest quality possible -- I record multiple views to the Cloud, download the individual recordings, and edit the content using Adobe Premiere Pro (there are many others).  But sometimes I just leave it the way it comes from Zoom, knowing that most people are happy to have the information, even if some parts of the video "look different" than other parts.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @gvision1.

I'm guessing that you are recording a meeting and at times screen sharing a full screen and at other times sharing a Portion of Screen.  What you're likely seeing is a result of the fact that the resolution (width and height) of the screen share video output is "fixed", using the highest resolution found in all of the screen sharing during the recording. I think what's happening (but I haven't tested this out, so it's an educated guess) is that the speaker video is just overlaid in the upper right corner, and maybe the videos with smaller resolution are tucked down into the lower left, or maybe centered.

It's never a bad thing to strive for perfection -- so I wouldn't call you "overbearing".  But you do have to "settle" for the limitations of the tool you are using.  For "evergreen content" -- videos that will truly have long-term value, and where you'll want the highest quality possible -- I record multiple views to the Cloud, download the individual recordings, and edit the content using Adobe Premiere Pro (there are many others).  But sometimes I just leave it the way it comes from Zoom, knowing that most people are happy to have the information, even if some parts of the video "look different" than other parts.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !