cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Participant in my personal room is unable to unmute or turn on video regardless of device

RhythmMaker43
Listener

Hi folks,

A customer of mine from San Francisco is unable to join my personal room, regardless of what device is joined on, and unmute or turn on the video. A tablet, and two laptops of theirs all join my personal room and remain muted and video-off despite efforts. They can join on their phone just fine, though. Is this a me problem? Is this a them problem? Is this a wifi problem or internet provider problem? Any guidance would be appreciated! 

7 REPLIES 7

RhythmMaker43
Listener

Does anyone have any idea as to why this keeps occurring for my customer? I'm thinking it's an ISP issue, that they can't join my Personal Zoom room and successfully unmute or turn on video. The same issue across three separate devices only sharing the wifi in common? That's got to be the issue, right?

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @RhythmMaker43 welcome to the community! I'm sorry you're having trouble with your Personal Room and a specific user attempting to join it. A couple of questions: do you use your personal room for other customers, and are they able to join your personal meeting room? Also, is there a specific error message that appears when your customer attempts to join?

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Thanks! I see numerous customers, often at the same time, with no issues like this. The customer says the error has something to do with the admin not allowing unmuting (I'll work on getting the precise language soon) but I don't have that setting in place for anyone. It occurs when the customer is 1:1 and also in groups, BUT it doesn't ALWAYS happen. About 10% of the time they can unmute and turn on the video, and we have no ideas as to why. 

Hey @RhythmMaker43 Interesting; if admins are locking settings for users on the account, this would be located at https://zoom.us/account/setting within the Meetings tab. When I ctrl + f to find "camera" or "microphone" settings within the Account Level settings for Meetings, I don't see anything about not allowing camera or microphone access. If you could send me the exact admin error that is prompting, I would be able to pinpoint the problem and see if there is any documentation as to why this user is experiencing problems.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Thanks RN. The notice they are getting is "The host is not allowing participants to unmute themselves."

Again, no one except this customer sees this, and it's on all their devices joining from their wifi. 

RhythmMaker43
Listener

This problem happens for the customer regardless of if it's a personal room or an auto-generated room. 

RhythmMaker43
Listener

Does anyone have any thoughts on this continuing issue?