cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gesture Recognition - stuck ON (can't turn off)! :-/

rloparo
Listener

Has anyone had it where the newest updates (5.13.7+) make your Gesture Recognition stuck ON?

I've tried to toggle the option (menu caret next to GESTURES in bottom menu bar) to ON (checked), then OFF (unchecked)...and no matter what I do, the Zoom client will recognize my hands and change them to large "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" cartoonish emoji handshapes - full palm, Index finger (light bulb), Thumbs-Up,  and Peace.

I cannot turn them off OR on:

1) In a Zoom meeting,

2) Through the Zoom settings (in windows app, currently with ver. 5.13.11), or

3) Through a browser (Chrome, logged into zoom.us)!

I need to find out HOW to turn the emojis OFF, as I use sign language (ASL) in Zoom meetings!  People can't understand me if my hands flash into freakishly cartoony emoji hands!  HELP!!!!

26 REPLIES 26

Shikaka
Listener

Hello, 
I have a user that is experiencing this same issue. Was there ever a fix given to you for this, or have you found a workaround?

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

Here is a link to the Zoom support article that explains how to turn this feature on or off.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/5494877566733-Enabling-or-disabling-gesture-recognition 

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

Thank you Frank, 

I know how to enable and disable it from both the settings, and from the "reactions" icon at the bottom of the open ZOom screen. This works perfect for me. I do have a user though that I watch disable it in settings, and confirm it by clicking the reactions button and verifying that it is unchecked. When she gives the thumbs up sign, it recognizes it and shows an animated thumbs up. 

Looking deeper, this is due to the update to Sonoma. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212950 It doesn't say how to disable, but at least now we have somewhere to look!

I have this exact issue on my Mac Studio M2 running OS14.1. I have updated to the most version of Zoom. I talk with my hands a lot and it still is seeing my gestures. Additionally, it freezes my camera in that mode and the only way to clear it is to turn the camera on/off.

tutor10
Listener

I have this problem too and and it will not turn off!!! I have unchecked it but it still does it.  Very annoying!!! Especially because I am teaching via zoom and using hands to indicate specific things that students need to see.  I don't want a thumbs up to appear on the screen when I'm doing something else, which is what's happening.  Any new solutions out there?

Shikaka
Listener

Hi Tutor10, 

Are you using a Macbook, that is running MacOS Sonoma (14.0, or higher)? If so, you may find this Apple support page helpful. We had this issue and the answer wasn't Zoom's recognition, but the overlay for Mac on the new OS version. "Looking deeper, this is due to the update to Sonoma. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212950 It doesn't say how to disable, but at least now we have somewhere to look!"

Yes my mac is using Sonoma.  but that page only says that that's the problem, but no answer as to how to solve it. 

Hi Tutor10,

I don't currently have Sonoma, so it's hard for me to test this for you, but I did a Google search and found this on a Pop Science website. It shows how to activate this on Sonoma, so in essence you can use it to deactivate this as well. 

I just figured this out. The article is correct and the instructions aren't obvious (but right at the top of the link above). 

1. Launch Zoom and start a meeting with your camera on.

2. Click the Green camera icon in the top bar

3. Deselect "reactions" which is set to on by default. 

This fixed it. 

I'm running a Mac M1 Pro with Sonoma 14.0.

Good try - thanks for the suggestion. Didn't work for me. I turned it off using the camera icon, greyed the Reactions button, but the feature is still on.

This worked for me, thanks

Diam
Listener

Hi, 

Has anyone figured out the solution to this problem? 

I have been searching for a while to solve this Gesture problem. I am also using a Mac OS. Is there a way to disable that issue?

I wish someone knew how to fix the problem!  I can't find any answer!

I have the same problem here, tried everything without success, happened since upgrading to sonoma on my macbook

antonlee
Listener

Is there anybody found any solution already? 

antonlee
Listener

guys, use the green video icon on the top of your macbook then disable the 'Reactions'
It is done!

hope it helps

anton lee, thanks for your suggestion.  Unfortunately I don't see any green video icon at the top of my MacBook.  

thanks! I just started a meeting and figured out how to turn the gesture recognition off. Does this mean I'm going to have to remember to do that every time I start a meeting? I find the gesture recognition extremely intrusive--I lose my train of thought every single time it happens.

I did this, as well as all the other things suggested here (going to Zoom.us and changing the meeting settings in Meeting-Basics. Tried to also disable emojis altogether, so that only hand raise will stay--but nothing helps. At the most appropriate times, suddenly balloons will stream down the window or a thumbs up icon will pop up. I really need to disable this, permanently. I never turned this on.

Thank you! This article solved it for me. 

Thank you!! That finally worked for me. Had tried changing reactions in the other menu but it never took. So grateful!!! 

alexiamellor
Listener

Hi, I was having the same issue using a MacBook with Sonoma. The ways I just fixed it: 1) follow Zoom's directions for disabling the hand gesture recognition within your account. 2) You will need to disable recognitions with any app on your Mac that uses your camera. I opened PhotoBooth and disabled it there (using the advice of clicking on the green camera that appears on the top bar of your desktop when you open an app using the camera), and then I opened the zoom app and clicked the green video button and disabled it for Zoom, too. I started a new zoom meeting to check that it worked. After starting the meeting, I clicked on  the green camera again and saw reactions was still disabled. So, to answer the question of do you need to do this every time you start a new meeting, no, I don't think that you do. I hope this is helpful.

PurposeDrvnTms
Listener

This is what I found for anyone using Mac OS 14.1 (Sonoma):

1. Launch Zoom and start a meeting with your camera on.

2. Click the Green camera icon in the top bar

3. Deselect "reactions" which is set to on by default. 

Hope this helps! 

anditer
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

I'm also an ASL user and came here for this problem

Hi anditer, 

Were you able to get this to work with the steps in this thread above?