cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed To Detect Your Microphone And Speaker Every Time I Join A Meeting

ToastedLion
Listener

Every time I join or create a meeting and select "Join with Computer Audio", I get a message saying "Failed to detect your microphone and speaker. Please make sure your devices are properly connected." Then, I select "Check my Audio Devices", then "Test Speaker", wait a moment, then "Test Mic" (which I always have to click at least twice for some reason), wait again, and then it works. This happens 100% of the time. This would be somewhat manageable by joining meetings early, except when joining a meeting I have to be let into the meeting first, and then the whole process takes a full one to two minutes before the host can hear me, which makes for an awkward and unprofessional start to every meeting hosted on Zoom. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Zoom multiple times over the last few months, most recently today, and the issue always persists. I don't have this issue with any other video conferencing applications. I am using Windows 10.

If anyone else experienced this issue and found a fix or workaround, please let me know.

Zoom team, please could you make it so that whatever checks Zoom does when I click "Test Speaker" and "Test Mic" it also does automatically as soon as it fails to detect the mic and speaker, so that I can join audio much more quickly?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Vandac
Listener

I'm experiencing this issue but have to restart my laptop each time. new laptop and no issues found on troubleshooting. I've found zoom to be very glitchy lately, also having lag on screen sharing. It can be pretty embarrassing when  am running meetings.

RuthDavies14
Listener

I have exactly the same problem.  Mic works fine for the first 10 mins, then cuts out.  I have to swap to airpods and reboot the laptop.  Others in the meeting are not always patient enough to wait...

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @ToastedLion @RuthDavies14 @Vandac welcome to the community! There could be a number of things that maybe causing this. Zoom utilizes what's available from your sound devices, therefore, I would start there to ensure that you have input to your microphone/speaker from your device.

You maybe have to click into this image to expand out; but, I wanted to let you know that I was able to go into my Sound settings within Windows and the Sound Control Panel, where you can see all available devices.

This is where you can troubleshoot and fix sound or audio problems in Windows. Zoom Support offers a Knowledge Base article onTroubleshooting Audio Issues, which may also be helpful. The two kind of go hand in hand.

With that being said, within Zoom, I can see that my devices for microphone are also listed within the sounds devices. This is where you can determine whether you actually have input for the playback (speaker) or recording (microphone). 

RN_0-1706026966902.png

Secondly, within the recording and playback tabs I recommend change the default to an input and output option that you know is working.

From the Zoom side of things also recommend enabling the Automatically joining meetings with computer audio setting. 

Let me know your findings! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Adding onto this, also please update Zoom to the latest version if available to you! 🙂

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!