cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Zoom Still Support Windows XP? (client)

btownsend
Listener

I used zoom on windows xp for awhile with no issues than from out of nowhere, I could not connect anymore.  The client keeps saying to update but it's already updated.

Has Zoom stopped support for older 'OS' machines?

7 REPLIES 7

ZoomerIT
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @btownsend ,

Unfortunately, it seems that our system requirements do not state Windows XP as a supported version for the Zoom desktop client. 

Thank you!

Thanks for you reply to this question ZoomerIT,

Any chance of a work around on this.  All of us still using winxp are well aware that it is out of date but some of us need to use it in some situations  where that piece of equipment can't be replaced easily.  This is especially true in education where budgets are tight.

Thanks

Bort

Not sure there are any workarounds for installing the full client on WindowsXP, but you might be able to use the PWA/web client in a browser. It doesn't have all the same features as the desktop client, but you can still join a meeting, share screen, etc. This article has more about how to use the PWA: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4403638230925-Using-Zoom-for-Chrome-PWA

As of July, 2023, Zoom seems to no longer allow XP and Vista users to use Zoom. The latest update to the desktop client is NOT available and Zoom is no longer working with the 5.05 version (based on my personal experience). Too bad Zoom no longer supports it. I can only assume that some customers that stream with Zoom will find other ways to stream.

There are many persons who MUST use XP or Vista, as I must do. Windows 7 and above do NOT support DOS and DOSbox is a big hassle. And since part of my work is to run several DOS programs at the same time leaves DOSbox unusable. And I cannot reinstall several programs in Windows 10 as the installation programs are no longer available.

Hopefully there will be enough complaints that Zoom will reverse this decision.

Zoom stopped running under XP around August, 2022. See my post from back then below. That's been a full year ago. So Zoom has likely long ago received all the complaints about dropping XP that they are ever going to get ... and they have not reversed their position. You could try using Zoom via either the 360 Extreme Explorer browser or Kafan Minibrowser (HummingOwl) browser and see if that works for you. They are based on Chromium 86 and 87 respectively, both run on XP. 

Another possibility is to install BlueStacks 3N (2018-06-25) (4.1.21.2018). It emulates Android 5 (Nougat). The current versions of Chrome and Firefox for Android run under Nougat, you could download those into Bluestacks and try using Zoom through those browsers inside a Bluestacks session. I've managed to overall survive quite well in XP, but unfornunately in certain scenarios, such as browser options & Zoom, XP is all but out of options. 

It was working as about a month or two ago. I am using Vista. Today it no longer works. Thanks for the reply.

DoctorQuality
Listener

Yes, officially Windows XP has been stated as not supported for quite some time. Note however if you attempt to join a meeting using an XP device, Zoom will offer to download a client installer for v. 5.0.5 as a file named 'ZoomInstallerXP.' And if you download it, it will install. And you can use it to enter a test meeting (at https://www.zoom.us/test). That is all true as of the date of this reply. One might well wonder why this would be all be the case if Zoom had entirely abandoned XP way-back-when.

Mid July, 2022 I used an XP SP3 device + 5.0.5 to successfully join a Zoom meeting. However in joining a meeting earlier today (early October, 2022) using XP + 5.0.5 I had no audio (despite the menu option 'Test speaker and microphone' incorrectly confirming that audio was functioning correctly). Also, after about 2 minutes, I was thrown out of the meeting and received the message 'Network connection failure. Please check your network and try again' (even though my wired network connection was rock-solid). These two issues replicated & persisted.

My interpretation of all these events is that (1) Zoom had been continuing to allow for use by XP devices 'on the down-low,' while skirting any official support to XP users and (2) these two issues (that apparently emerged mid-August 2022) are XP-specific and Zoom, given its current market situation, has decided not to devote any more resources to coding server-side XP workarounds. So, practically speaking, no more Zoom under XP. They ought to at least take the time to delete the ZoomInstallerXP offer … and have Zoom return messages like 'Zoom will not run under your OS" instead of letting you actually enter meetings.

You CAN enter a Zoom meeting under XP using the 360 Extreme Explorer browser, v. 13. First you have to cancel-out of pop-up offers to download ZoomInstallerXP (that would simply reinstall 5.0.5) and also to launch the Zoom client. Then there will be a link stating "Having issues with Zoom Client? Join from Your Browser." Click that link and, after a slight delay, you will be able to access the meeting with audio & video. But it will consume nearly 100% of system resources and will bog XP down so much as to make it – and your presence in the meeting -- non-functional.