cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash on demand

vincewebb
Listener

I have three different machines all running the same version of Zoom on the same version of Linux, two work perfectly the other has a problem. On the newest of the 3 machines, I can make Zoom crash (or at least lock the display) on demand.

I've discovered two different sequences that cause Zoom to crash

First method:
1) get a meeting going, 1 participant is sufficient
2) click the caret symbol (^) adjacent to the "Chat" button at the bottom of the screen

Second method
1) get a meeting going, 1 participant is sufficient
2) bring up the chat panel
3) click the upside down caret symbol (v) in the top left of the "Meeting Chat" panel

Either of the above sequences brings the zoom window to a halt, video is frozen and Zoom appears pretty much dead. After a few seconds a pop up appears saying:
////
"Zoom" is not responding.
You may choose to wait a short while for it to continue or force the application to quit entirely.
Force Quit | Wait
////

The Force Quit option has the desired effect, it terminates Zoom.

Zoom version: 5.13.3.651
OS version: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
Hardware: Acer Swift SF314-42
RAM: 8GB
CPU: AMD® Ryzen 7 4700u with radeon graphics × 8
Graphics: RENOIR (renoir, LLVM 15.0.6, DRM 3.47, 5.19.0-40-generic)
Gnome version: 42.5
Windowing system: Either Wayland or X11

The crash happens just the same regardless of whether Ubuntu is running X11 or Wayland.

Given that this is only an issue on one of three machines I don't imagine the problem will be easy to replicate, hence I have been looking to find where zoom places its log files. Being Ubuntu, Zoom is running as a snap so I guessed I would find log files somewhere under
~/snap/zoom-client/
So far no luck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vincewebb
Listener

I raised this topic approx 7 months ago, since then the problem has gone away.

The snap of Zoom that I'm using has moved on a few versions and this may or may not have brought about the cure. I'm currently using:
zoom-client 5.16.6.382

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

vincewebb
Listener

I raised this topic approx 7 months ago, since then the problem has gone away.

The snap of Zoom that I'm using has moved on a few versions and this may or may not have brought about the cure. I'm currently using:
zoom-client 5.16.6.382