cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cellular option gone since 5.16.10 update on iPhone

gshankster
Listener

I have an Apple iPhone 15 and have been using the zoom app for a while now and when I would join a meeting, it gave me a "cellular" option for audio but since the v5.16.10 update, its gone and all I have for audio options are "Wifi, Dial in, Call Me, No Audio" - Why did the cellular option go away?  It worked great for me.  I tried the "Call Me" option but it was not as good (audio clarity).  I haven't tried the wifi option but many times I need to join a call when I'm in my car and I just want to use my cellular and the audio is perfect.  Why-o-why did you get rid of that option?!?!?!?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just wanted to say that selecting the wifi option, even without any wifi connection is working the same as cellular.  Apparently, the wifi option is using wifi over cellular if there's no actual wifi connection.  At least so far that I've seen.  Just changing the name from "cellular" to "wifi" freaked me and other people out.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

INQUIRE
Listener

I have this problem too.   iPhone 8, iOS 16.6.1, Zoom 5.16.10 (11643).
I am unable to connect and use audio via cellular for the virtual personal training that I have been doing for over 3 years using Zoom with cellular for audio.  The connection options I get today are WIFI, DIAL IN, or NO AUDIO.  We do not have a secure home wifi network, and using public wifi is not an option.  Until I can get a dial-in phone # from my trainer organization, I will have to resort to FaceTime for my twice weekly zoom sessions.
For many reasons this is unacceptable, and if I may say so, careless on the part of Zoom.
In another thread it has been suggested to use the "WIFI" audio connection option even though one is not connected to WIFI.  Responses have been mixed:  for some this works, for others the Zoom meeting disconnects.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @gshankster welcome to the community! I see your experience when connecting audio via mobile, but there is no difference when you choose the wifi option when connecting audio via mobile. For example, even if my wifi is turned off in my device settings, I can still select the wifi option and connect audio via my cellular connection.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

So RN:

If I choose the "WIFI" option when I join audio (even if I'm connected ONLY to cellular),
(1) will I be able to hear others in the zoom session provided they are unmuted?
(2) will the zoom session leader be able to hear me, provided that I unmute myself and they also unmute me?

This answer makes no sense to me. The fact is that the cellular option for audio on zoom calls is now gone. Why? We need cellular to work to be on calls in the car. This just started happening a few weeks ago. So now I have to drive to a parking lot to access a stores wifi to get on my zoom calls. This is crazy. What is the solution?

I just wanted to say that selecting the wifi option, even without any wifi connection is working the same as cellular.  Apparently, the wifi option is using wifi over cellular if there's no actual wifi connection.  At least so far that I've seen.  Just changing the name from "cellular" to "wifi" freaked me and other people out.

gshankster
Listener

Wifi only works when you have wifi, when I had the cellular option it works whether I'm at home, in the office, or in my car.  If I start out with wifi but have to travel yet stay on the call, it doesn't work.

gshankster
Listener

Or are you saying selecting wifi will switch to cellular at some point if wifi goes away?

gshankster
Listener

And what if I don't have wifi when I first join (like being in the car)?