cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back in 10 Minutes

Snyberwiz
Listener

Is it possible for Zoom to include a small flag saying "Back in 10 minutes" that would display when one's video and audio is off? This would be ideal when working from home if one has to: answer the door, deal with the kids (or pets), answer the phone, go for a toilet break, make a cup of tea etc. etc. At the moment with video and audio off (or even with video on, no-one else knows if you have left the meeting for a long time. They might be happy to wait 5 or 10 min to ask you a question, as they would in an actual meeting.

However, I cannot find this function on Zoom or on any other platforms - yet it seems such a simple and obvious facility to have available (one could even set the length of time and automatically indicate the time the notice was posted.

At the moment all I can do is tpe this to my empty chair and leave my video on! 

There must be a better way!

Back in 5 min.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Manny5429
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@Snyberwiz This is a brilliant feature suggestion. Currently, whenever I host Zoom meetings and somebody has to step away for whatever reason, I just ask them to select the I'm away Reaction. I let the participants to leave their video on or off. See screenshot below: 

Manny5429_0-1646919473480.jpeg

Manny5429_1-1646919482734.jpeg

If this answer helped solve your question/issue, please hit the -Accept as Solution- button below.

just ask them to select the I'm away Reaction. I let the participants to leave their video on or off. See screenshot below: 

Snyberwiz
Listener

Excellent idea - At least I can use that for now.

However I still think something more precise could be useful - perhaps just expand the existing "I'm away" Reaction with a drop down time list e.g. For: 5 min; 10 min; 15 min; 30 min; 1hr; 2hr; 3hr; 4hr; etc.

Alex_PFT
Participant | Zoom Partner
Participant | Zoom Partner

The piece of paper with tape in front of the camera is awesome 😂
Another easy solution would be to share a power point slide saying ''be back in 10'' or something like that. Would look more professional.
The idea of a drop down list is nice. 

Alex

zoom@pft

Manny5429

@Alex_PFT @Snyberwiz That's a good one too. I also saw another creative one where a participant created a virtual background of the same room with himself holding a post ''be back in 10'' or something like that. 🙂

If this answer helped solve your question/issue, please hit the -Accept as Solution- button below.

The suggestion is pretty good (and I like the graphic). However, it's not always for WC- for those working from home it could be to: answer the door; let the dog out; deal with a small child; urgent phone call or text; etc etc So something more generic, like "Back in 10 min" or "BBS" (Be Back Soon) - or just a symbol that everyone knew meant that, might be better (but not WC as if you had 3 or more "interruptions" in an hour, you might get comments! 

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

It's pretty easy to change your profile picture. When you turn off your camera your profile picture appears. Perhaps keep a folder with a few?

Regards

JackRyan000
Listener

Introducing a feature like a "Back in 10 minutes" flag on Zoom when video and audio are off would indeed be beneficial for managing interruptions while working remotely. To address this, consider exploring the platform's existing functionalities:

• Status Indicators:

• Utilize Zoom's status settings creatively. For instance, updating your status to "Away" or adding a note in your profile indicating your temporary absence can serve as a makeshift solution.
  • Communication Tools:

• Leverage Zoom's chat function to inform meeting participants of your brief absence. Sending a quick message stating your return time could help manage expectations.
  • Requesting Features:

• Reach out to Zoom's support or provide feedback requesting this feature. Highlight the necessity and convenience, drawing parallels to efficiently managing time, much like training and caring for a Micro Bully, where consistency and communication are key.

While this specific feature might not be available yet, exploring existing options creatively and providing feedback to the platform could lead to improvements in managing temporary absences during meetings.