cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically muted when I screen share on zoom pwa

AbigailD
Listener

Good day everyone,

Hope all is well. I have an issue with Zoom PWA. When I start screen sharing and to explain what is there I am told I am muted.  I checked my settings and could not pin point anything. Does anyone here have a solution?

20 REPLIES 20

GRWils
Listener

I have this exact problem. When I share mic is muted

joeb
Listener

+1

joeb
Listener

On Chromebook. Is anyone at Zoom working on this? Quite problematic, given that you're deprecating ChromeOS app in favor of PWA.

Benoit_Gauthier
Listener

This debilitating problem (on Chromebooks) is still present, four months after it was identified by AbigailD. Is anyone at Zoom aware of this?

JohnNorris
Listener

I understand your frustration, I am having the same issue. Have you figured it out yet?

Nope. No change.

This continues to be a problem . However I have found at least for me working on a chrome book if when I share I make sure I am sharing “tab” not screen.

joeb
Listener

The audio works if you pause screen sharing. Your video will be static, but at least others can hear you.

It's a workaround, of course. It would be nice if Zoom responded to this issue, then actually fixed it. 

Benoit_Gauthier
Listener

Thanks for this hack, Joeb. Less than desirable of course. I don't understand that Google and Zoom can let this be given the importance of the education market for Chromebooks.

Benoît

This one is on Zoom. I don't have this problem when using Google Meet on my Chromebook.

JLH1
Listener

Eight months later, and I have this problem. My work around is to have two devices on the call: one for presenting and one for explaining.

joeb
Listener

Here's another workaround. Share the window, rather than the tab--Zoom doesn't mute you when you do that. I haven't tried sharing the whole screen.

Thank you, that works for me, though never had to do this before. 

katerdreger
Listener

I had this same problem, too - when sharing my presentation, I am muted, and I am unable to unmute!
Then I noticed in the Zoom "Choose what to share" window that pops up when you try to share, on the Chrome Tab, at the bottom there's a box that is checked by default, which says, "Share tab audio." If you UNCHECK THAT BOX, you will be able to speak without being muted. Definitely NOT intuitive and very easy to miss.

Thank you for pointing this out - I hadn't seen the check box at first but it does the trick.

Bless you and thank you! Would never have found this! And having tested it, I see that it does NOT mute if selecting Window or Entire Screen. Oy Vey! 😄

Thanks a million. I would never have guessed.

Blovethompson
Listener

Best answer I see is from...

joeb
Listener
2022-09-19 07:27 AM
"The audio works if you pause screen sharing. Your video will be static, but at least others can hear you.
It's a workaround, of course. It would be nice if Zoom responded to this issue, then actually fixed it."

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi everyone! Thank you for all of your contributions to this thread and I am sorry for not getting to you all sooner!

We have created an article that goes over some troubleshooting steps to take when this issue occurs: Troubleshooting muted audio when sharing screen. Please let me know if it helps and I am so sorry for the inconvenience this has caused! 

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

@CarlaA Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the effort but I am perturbed by the message on the troubleshooting page that I should "use a different device such as a computer with Windows or Mac operating systems". Chromebooks are used across the board and extensively in some sectors (think education). Also, the troubleshooting page offers a link to a dead page: using Zoom for Chrome PWA.

Benoît Gauthier