cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio output not working (in test or test meeting)

Be1i
Listener

Help! 

I have tried everything: 

- uninstall and reinstall

- audio test (correct  - only - speakers and volume up to 100%)

- Clearing cache

- checking permissions

- adjusting computer audio settings (various...remind me)

This is only happening on my new laptop. When I sign into my old one it works fine. 

What the issue it: 

When I test speakers, you basically can't hear anything. When I put my head really close to the computer, I can hear the very very faint ring tone. Computer audio is on. Sometimes it makes a brief sound or crack before going quiet. The microphone test works perfectly. 

Any ideas?

The new computer is a ASUS Zenbook pro.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

revmias
Listener

Fixed it! The problem was in the MyAsus App, Customisation tab. There is  an "AI Noise-cancelling speaker" option which is enabled by default. Turning this off fixed the problem and zoom now works fine. Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

I get that you need noise cancelling but I think the issue, at least for me, was that both zoom and the MyAsus app were trying to do noise cancelling, and so were interfering with each other. I realise you're using an Acer laptop, but I'm guessing there is a similar proprietary app doing the same on yours and it is both apps attempting to cancel noise at the same time that leaves you with intermittent or absent speaker volume.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

jrmelton44
Listener

With the help of a Zoom Tier 2 tech person I solved this problem.  He suggested that I see if Zoom were muted in the Volume Mixer.  I didn't even know that Zoom had a separate entry in Volume Mixer, but when I looked it was there, and it was muted.  When I clicked to unmute it the problem was solved.

Thanks for this suggestion. But I've already done this - and just checked again. Zoom in volume mixer is up. Speakers are correct. In the Zoom test I still hear a very very faint sound - so its trying to come through, but not coming through correctly (as before).

Computer sound is otherwise working well. Just not Zoom... 

I have the same problem. Audio is fine in all aspects except for zoom. Ive tried all tests but nothing works

Be1i
Listener

Thanks RachelGomez123

Windows and drivers etc are all up to date. 

Important to note: I can actually hear something coming out of the speakers - it sometimes makes one crackly burst or one note of the ring tone in the Zoom speaker test, and then it goes so quiet you almost cant hear it - but it is actually still making a sound. And the volume on that zoom test, and the computer are all up 100%. ALSO GOOD TO NOTE: The microphone test works perfectly - I can hear sound there. So the speakers on the computer are working and the sound is not coming through some external device. 🙂

Who is the genius that is going to figure this out???

Having the same issues, but tests on Zoom not working.  Has anyone figure this out? Could use some help.

Same problem. I need help too

revmias
Listener

I have exactly the same problem with a brand new Asus Zenbook. Microphone test works perfectly. Audio works on all other programs, just not on zoom - will get random bursts of sound then very faint or nothing. It's not a  physical connection issue (same problem with onboard speakers and bluetooth headphones). BIOS/drivers up to date, troubleshooter finds nothing etc. I have also noted that when zoom is running, it corrupts the sound of other apps (eg youtube video playing simultaneously). Zoom is conflicting with something in the audio setupp. Can anyone help? MS Teams works fine 🙂

ShieldsScholars
Listener

Same exact problem as described above, except on a Acer Nitro 5 laptop. All drivers and Windows updates current. MPOW headset works fine in every other aspect and in other applications, but has audio issues during zoom meetings and is tinny/faint/crackly during "test speaker" test within zoom. I will hear nothing/faint and then it will break through momentarily, and then faint/nothing again. Headset speakers work just fine during playback of microphone test. Headset works fine on zoom on previous desktop. Please help!

revmias
Listener

Fixed it! The problem was in the MyAsus App, Customisation tab. There is  an "AI Noise-cancelling speaker" option which is enabled by default. Turning this off fixed the problem and zoom now works fine. Hope that helps!

Not so much, as the Noise Cancelling is the feature I need. My laptop's built-in microphone and speakers work just fine, but then I pick up every scream and giggle from the kids in the other room, and so do the participants in my calls. 

I get that you need noise cancelling but I think the issue, at least for me, was that both zoom and the MyAsus app were trying to do noise cancelling, and so were interfering with each other. I realise you're using an Acer laptop, but I'm guessing there is a similar proprietary app doing the same on yours and it is both apps attempting to cancel noise at the same time that leaves you with intermittent or absent speaker volume.

Thank you revimis! THIS WORKED! 😀

Actually team, this is not the first issue I've had with the MyAsus app. It was glitching and making my screen unreadable while its 'Target Mode' was on. Totally overlooked there was a noise cancelling setting as well.  - Beware Asus users. MyAsus is often not your friend.

Fixed my Acer Swift 3. Switched off the Acer Purified Voice console - everything is fine. Sound test works. Thanks

This worked with my Acer Nitro 5. 

TCR33
Listener

I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10.  My audio/mic tests are not working on Zoom.  Works fine on other apps.  I'm not sure about noise cancelling settings.

Woodman01926
Listener

I have this same problem with a Dell laptop, only with Zoom, mine is using Windows 11.  Does anyone know the answer?  If I do a speaker test it makes the right sound for a few seconds then goes faint, very tinny and barely audible.  That means that in a meeting anyone else sharing sound has the same result for me.  If I am screen sharing and sharing sound any other person in the meeting cannot hear the sound and my volume when speaking is very low, whereas I can hear them.

MarshaMagenta
Listener

after years of almost daily zoom use, I cannot hear the spears. Testing speakers already, no ouptput. MacbookPro. I can hear on my iphone but cannot see enough for my purposes. Really need help!

Same exact problem described by all. My new Acer computer has the problem. My old ( 2019) Acer does not.  Thanks in advance for any guidance possible....so frustrating.