cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Room PMI : direct access to a room possible ?

ggueneau
Listener

Hi everybody

We are a school. And i would like to provide a unique access (PMI ?) to the room for the students.

Is there a way to do that ? We have tested the solution provided on the support, but seems not to work.

Please, if it is possible, give us the solution.

Best regards

7 REPLIES 7

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Welcome  @ggueneau , and thank you for your contribution to the Zoom community! We are so happy to have you here.. Our experts will get back to you with a response, but in the meantime, we encourage fellow community members to also share their knowledge on this topic!

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Freddi_G
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello, can you elaborate on what Unique access to which room is needed for students? 

Is this for a meeting ID and you want students to have their own unique code to access this meeting ID? To act as a host or? What is the exact use case we can help you solve for?

Also can you tell us which support guide you used? Was it Alternative host?

Dear Freddy,

We are a higher ed institution. Our classrooms are equiped with zoom rooms (Logitech Rallye, Mac Mini for management, and a iPad for remoting the system.

Actually, when a course begins, we launch a zoom room meeting and send to the participants the link. It is heavy and creates confusion. 
The solution would be to have the PMI technology applied to zoom room :
- we have a unique link & password for the room

- students have this general link (1 only PMI-like link) to access the room

- the professor just accept the student via the iPad
Best

Freddi_G

All Zoom Rooms have their own PMI just like a licensed user. The problem is that the PMI and password are both static which means security wise, all PMI related meetings can be accessed by anyone who has access to the code. Just something to consider.

You could tie your ZR to a room calendar resource, where it can easily be reserved from your Enterprise calendar and auto start the meeting from the room. The host who schedules simply sends invites to the students via the same calendar invite OR copies the link to that meeting within the course. Its much more secure to have dynamic meeting ID and passwords created. 

If you want to use PMI, here is a link for Zoom Rooms configuration of it: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/204110915-Using-Zoom-Rooms-Personal-Meeting-ID-PMI-

Hi, i did already, but when i use the link, the room does not open. Neither i see any notification on the room's iPad app. I do not understand how to setup and use this feature. Best

Freddi_G

PMI is a room's meeting ID (room). It doesnt "wake up" or add in the room automatically. This is exactly how PMI works for named hosts PMI as well. The participants in the room simply needs to dial into its meeting ID - this can be set automatically to dial into it by just clicking "new meeting" by default so its a one touch experience.

The other, and preferred method would be to schedule the room and participants from the calendar, that way the room auto starts and participants simply click a link as discussed previously.

Can you please detail a bit more the use case, then i can test properly ?

Best