cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Event would not start on Chromebook w/ Zoom PWA

RonBarkan
Listener

Hello

I got a Zoom Event ticket for an event I paid to watch. I have a Chromebook with Zoom PWA. Regular Zoom meetings start fine with it, even when I get to a Zoom join page on the browser. For regular meetings, I click the link to use Zoom PWA and it works well. With this specific Zoom Event ticket, it does not. Instead, I get a page saying my device is not supported.

1 . Even though I signed up in advance, I did not get any warning the event ticket will not work. 

2. If I open Zoom PWA, I can't join the above. Join Meeting, it will not take the Zoom Event URL.

3. The Zoom Event does not show up in my Zoom account as a scheduled meeting. Why? It's this special thing that has no trace except in an email I got from zoom-events. Ideally, I could open scheduled events on my Zoom PWA and just join. The integration is sub-standard.

4. Why do you keep providing sub-standard support for Chromebooks? Since I can run Android Apps on my Chromebook, there seems to be no justification for this crappy support.

Why is it still so complicated to use Zoom?

6 REPLIES 6

ChrisO
Note Taker

Hi RonBarkan,

Unfortunately, the Chromebook PWA does not support Zoom Events. You can view the requirements for joining a Zoom event here https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4404105243405-Joining-Zoom-Events. You will notice the PWA is not listed however there are browser-based options available. You can certainly make a feature request here https://zoom.us/feed for the ability to be added to the PWA.

Please remember to mark responses as accepted if they resolve your issue.
***Sometimes success is only achieved through many failures!***

Does it mean installing the Chrome extension, that is soon not be supported, will make Zoom Events work?

Why don't you support Chromebooks through the Android app (it is not an option: I checked)?

Hi RonBarkan,

No. When joining a meeting via a browser, instead of clicking join meeting in the middle of the screen look for the "Join from browser" option listed below that.

As far as your other question. That is a question for Zoom themselves, I am not a Zoom employee. To be quite honest though it's really Chromebooks that are the problem in general as they do not allow standard programs to be installed (This statement is my opinion only and not a representation of any stance Zoom may hold).

I think your solution does not work. There's no such option to join with a browser. Unlike a regular Zoom VC, there's no selection of how to join.

Re: ChromeOS, note you can install most Android Apps, so it seems Zoom could have made it work by doing less work. And you can install stuff, but why do you need to? Somehow Google Meet works just fine without installing stuff.

I defer to the knowledgebase article that I linked prior. There is a section titled

"Understand using web browsers to join Zoom Events".

I can no longer test this (the join URL is no longer active).

However, there was no step in which I could choose to remain in the browser. Clicking the join URL immediately went to "not supported" with no recourse.

As I said in the original question, it is also poorly integrated with the Zoom account: it does not show up on the scheduled list, the URL cannot be used as meeting ID, etc.

Big thumbs down.