cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme noise , loud tapping that makes zoom tutoring

PeterFitzg
Listener

I am maths online tutor. I currently have 8 students. For seven of the students there are no issues. However with one I get some loud tapping noise that is not possible to ignore. The student is not using an external speaker or microphone. They have not changed the laptop. Generally we get 10 mins with no noise, and then it starts. Any ideas anyone ? It would be much appreciated. We are both using laptops.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Many  thanks Ray, That feels like a good analysis of the situation.  I have asked her to use a different device to see if that solves the problem. Will report back after the next session with her.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @PeterFitzg.

I'm guessing, but my experience tells me that when your student joins the meeting, the laptop hasn't been very "busy" CPU-wise, and that after a few minutes of processing Zoom audio and video, the laptop's fan kicks in... and probably generates more noise than one might usually expect.

I don't think there's really any reason to suspect Zoom is making the noise.  I've had one client on a PC whose fan will start up and make a clicking sound on occasion. That's the only thing I can think would be the issue.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Many  thanks Ray, That feels like a good analysis of the situation.  I have asked her to use a different device to see if that solves the problem. Will report back after the next session with her.

PeterFitzg
Listener

Update on noise issue. So I just finished my session with my student. Who did use a different device and we had a perfect session. No noise whatsoever. So, many thanks for not only a solution but an excellent analysis of the problem.