cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Message to all K12 School Accounts: Children’s Education Status setting

Pat_laMorte
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi all --

I wanted to let you know about a new change coming soon within your Admin Portal that will require action. For admins or owners of Zoom accounts that provide educational services to children under 18 years of age using Zoom products, we will be asking you to self-identify as an educational organization with your Zoom account profile (not your Community profile). This Children’s Education Status setting will help us more readily identify our education accounts to provide better service to you and your students. Please note, you will need to self-identify as an educational organization within your profile in order for the data protections detailed in Zoom’s Children’s Educational Privacy Statement to apply.

Starting September 19, you will see a new setting within your Admin Portal asking you to self-identify if your organization provides educational services to users under 18 years of age using Zoom products. Once you have toggled the switch to on, you will be asked to select all age groups to which you provide educational services. 

In addition, if you provide services to children in the United States under 13 years of age using Zoom products, you will be required to review and sign Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices within 30 days of self-identification to continue using Zoom services. We can only accept signatures from an authorized administrator or teacher, and your organization will be required to re-sign this notice on a yearly basis at renewal. We’ve included a few images below and published a help article to guide you through this new workflow.

Pat_laMorte_0-1631893819442.png

Pat_laMorte_1-1631893819495.png

We take privacy seriously at Zoom and this change is a part of our commitment to continuously enhance the privacy of our platform. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to your CSM for assistance, or refer to our help article or reach out to our Support Team. Thank you for choosing Zoom.

Team Zoom

Pat La Morte
Global EDU Solutions LeadZoom Video Communications
13 REPLIES 13

davemillerwitne
Listener

when i try this is fails with 

Timeout to get your consenting to Educational Data Collection Practices

Same. It says Invalid input parameter: orgRole

DigitalEd
Listener

Same error message here too

Pat_laMorte

Hello all, 

This has been addressed by engineering and will be deployed this weekend.

Thank you,

Pat

Pat La Morte

cduncan
Listener

Just needing some clarification on the providing educational services identifier.  Does this encompass having students on a zoom session with a teacher?  The teacher has a zoom account with our school but not the student?  We do not provide accounts to students but do have a age range of students that attend zoom sessions of teachers.  Is this self identifier of all age ranges going to lockout our teacher's accounts from being used with non-students?   Thank you for the clarification in advance.  

Pat_laMorte

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. If you are a school and serve students, you have to identify as a school and sign the COPPA acknowledgment as such,., Once you do, your accounts will not lock. This is a claim as a school no matter who has students or not.  It is no difference in the account, we have simply upped our process to keep all students safe. 

Pat La Morte

Miri1
Listener

Hi Pat,

I tutor my adult and young family members.  I  wanted to know if  I am expected to  opt out or fill out form even though I am not an educational organization. Thanks-

Pat_laMorte

If you have your own account and are not tied to an edu account, you do not. They are paying you for your services. This is for schools that serve students as part of their day-to-day. 

Pat La Morte

To be clear, this would include Zoom.edu accounts for non-public schools, universities and other instructional programs that collect a payment for their instructional services and may have students under 18 participating in programs?

Pat_laMorte

Hello All,

Continuing this conversation, we are holding a Webinar panel,  with Greg Silberman, Zoom’s Associate General Counsel, Privacy, Matt Mandrgoc, Head of US Public Sector, Katherine Smith, Head of Customer Success, Specialized Verticals and Pat La Morte, Global EDU Solutions Lead to learn more about our new Children’s Education Status Setting and what it means for your organization, this Thursday, October 7th at 4 PM Eastern, for anyone who wants to learn more about this setting and form.  Click this link to register: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_3AgBF0x-Sai0iKFXK7diqw

Pat La Morte

Hi Pat - I missed the webinar was it recorded? Or will there be another one in the future? 

Thanks!

SVVAmey
Listener

Hi Pat,

I am trying to add Organization Information for same, but unable to make changes to the address/City/Country/State.

Kindly assist.

Also, all of my basic user meetings are limited to 40mins even if they are K12 Teachers/Faculties.

Thanks!

EveH
Listener

I'm not sure how we are to respond to this. We are an education and therapy center for kids with autism & other developmental disabilities. Our zoom account is used for administrative purposes--staff meetings, parent meetings, etc. We do not use it for teaching or to interact with students. Thanks in advance for your help.