cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable close caption

Pamlet
Listener

As someone who is hearing-impaired, I find it tiresome that I have to request hosts every time to enable close captions.  Why is it not the default?  It is discriminatory to place the burden of requesting this on hearing -impaired people, especially given the fact that many hosts have no idea how to enable this.

6 REPLIES 6

EddiePAEK
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

I fully understand your opinion. However, I guess that other people might have a different opinion with you. Once Account owner or Admin enable close captions, you can use it alway enabled. 

Prerequisites for closed captioning and live transcription

• Account owner or admin privileges

How to enable or disable meeting/webinar captions and live transcription

Account

To enable Closed captioning for all users in the account:

1. Sign in to the Zoom web portal as an admin with the privilege to edit account settings.
  2. In the navigation menu, click Account Management then Account Settings.
  3. Click the Meeting tab.
  4. Under In Meeting (Advanced), click the Closed captioning toggle to enable or disable it.
  5. If a verification dialog displays, click Enable or Disable to verify the change.
  6. (Optional) If you want to make this setting mandatory for all users in your account, click the lock icon 

, and then click Lock to confirm the setting.
  7. (Optional) Select the check boxes to enable additional features:
    • Allow use of caption API Token to integrate with 3rd-party Closed Captioning services
    • Enable live transcription service to transcribe meeting automatically
    • Allow viewing of full transcript in the in-meeting side panel: If disabled, participants cannot view the full transcript in the side panel. They can only view captions in the video window of the meeting or webinar. Participants also won't be able to save captions.
      Note: This feature requires Zoom version 5.7.0 or higher.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4409683389709

Cheers!

Apparently my last comment wasn't saved. Can you help me figure out how to set this up universally on our account? I have a pro account, I have already followed the above instructions on how to allow for cc / live transcription... BUT when I log on to meetings ZOOM app, there is no CC button to push, nor do captions auto generate. I have looked al through the help docs and have found absolutely nothing to address this, nor is there a place to email actual tech support directly. It should not be this hard to accommodate our participants.

EddiePAEK. The challenge I have is that every meeting, even recurring ones, seem to generate a new API for CC. I have an ai captioning system that we bought and I set it to auto-join a Zoom meeting ata  specific time but each time the API must be manually copied by the meeting host and since it changes for every meeting it is very labor intensive. 1. Why does Zoom do this? 2. Can I make it so the API stays constant for a recurring meeting? Thank you.

ericafw
Listener

Bumping this...I submitted this as a feature request several months ago and hope to see it implemented to soon! There should definitely be an option when scheduling a meeting to choose "Automatically enable live transcript" like there is for recordings.

Couldn't agree more Erica, I work for a non-profit supporting older adults and this accessibility feature should be automatic for all meetings and webinars, hoping Zoom will support this in the near future!

calber20
Listener

I just had this issue the other day!  I was unable to turn on closed captioning an have just now learned we need to request from the host to turn them on???? How is this even legal??  I am so angry.  I do should not need to announce to everyone I speak to that I am hearing impaired, especially in a meeting!