cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captions

BeateT
Listener

Hi, 

I'm struggeling with enabling captioning in meetings. As far as I can see, everything is set up correctly at admin level. I tested it with me, myself and I in a meeting. Participant-I was able to request captions which host-I accepted. Still no words appearing in writing.

Skjermbilde 2023-03-29 143744.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

Freddi_G
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

If enabled properly, the following workflow should expose captions. The ability to use captions is controllable by the host, but if all is enabled, viewing captions is a personal or local setting:

Host: If a participant wants to use closed captioning, the host can control enablement or even disable for a meeting.

1. The host will click "show captions" in the toolbar

2. The host will then select the language used in the meeting

3. A pop up banner will now show up that says "A participant has enabled Closed Captioning" that all participants will see.

4. Participant toolbars should now say "show captions" 

5.  Participant clicks "show captions" button and captions should now show up on their own screen.

BeateT
Listener

Thank you. My toolbar says Live Transcript (not show captions). See pic.

20230330_083338.jpg

Also, Closed Captioning is marked as available under Accessability in the my profile settings.

Tried it again with a colleague, and it's not working.

Anything I might have missed?

Freddi_G

Hi what version Zoom client are you using? On your Zoom client, underneath your profile picture on the top right hand of the client click that and on the menu that appears, click on "help" then "about" and let me know your current version and OS of your PC?

BeateT
Listener

Version: 5.14.0 (13888)

Freddi_G

Hi there, something doesn't look right. If you are on the latest client, I would expect the function to show "Show Captions" instead. We changed the name from live transcription some time ago.

Freddi_G_0-1680219531062.png

Here are some prerequisites from our support site:

Prerequisites for enabling automated captions

• Account owner or admin privileges

Note: If a host or admin disables Manual captions and enables Automated captions, then users who are on clients older than version 5.9.0 can't view automated captions (live transcription). All users on version 5.9.0 and higher can still view and use automated captions, as long as the host is on version 5.9.0 or higher, and enables live transcription within the meeting.

Limitations for automated captions

• Some HIPAA-security enabled accounts do not have access to automated captions. Please contact your Account Executive to update your HIPAA-security agreement in order to have this enabled for your account. 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/8158289360141-Enabling-automated-captions

Could you open a case with support and pass me the case number if none of this works so I could take a look (as well as support) ? https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new

Hi, Freddi

Seems I finally figured this out: Closed captioning in Zoom is not supported on NORDUnet's on-premises Zoom service. If there is a need for it, the user creating the meeting and intending to use closed captioning can switch to "Licensed" and use Zoom's public cloud, but this must be considered on a case-by-case basis in terms of privacy and GDPR. It is not always guaranteed that Zoom support is aware of the differences between on-premises and public cloud setups.

So for now we need to go on without, it seems.

Beate

Freddi_G

Thanks for confirming, I didn't realize you were using Zoom's On-Prem services. That definitely changes things a bit!

BeateT
Listener

Neither did I, or more correctly: I didn't know there was a difference. Guess it's a necessity to have more control over the data of our users (employees and students in higher ed.).

professorvn
Listener

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble enabling captioning in your meetings. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Ensure that your meeting platform supports captioning and that it is enabled in the settings. You can check the platform's documentation or contact support for assistance.

2. Check that you have selected the correct language for the captions. Some platforms may support multiple languages, so it's important to make sure that you have chosen the language that you want.

3. Make sure that your microphone and speakers are working properly. If the captions are generated from audio, then they won't appear if there is no audio input.

4. Check that the captions are enabled and visible on your screen. Depending on the platform, you may need to enable them manually or adjust your screen settings.

5. Test the captions with another participant in the meeting to see if the issue is isolated to your account or if it is a system-wide problem.

6. If none of the above steps work, contact the support team for your meeting platform. They may be able to provide additional assistance or identify any underlying issues.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. You can ask me https://professorvn.net/

Thanks, but it seems CC isn't available to us as we are one the on-prem solution. Have tried everything else / all of the above, so this seems to be the answer (and not the solution).