Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When New Licenses Aren't Automatically Assigned

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

I'm guilty. 

Guilty of making a bad assumption.  Based on the large number of posts in the Zoom Community about "I paid for a Pro account but I'm still not Licensed and my meetings get cut off at 40 minutes," I had made the assumption that Zoom does not automatically assign a newly-purchased Pro license to the owner and sole user on an account.

Yesterday, while recording some screen captures for an upcoming video I'm creating, I discovered -- much to my surprise -- that the account I purchased while recording did in fact get assigned to the owner and only user on the account.

And yet, the "New license not assigned" posts continue to come in!

The question I'm now researching is, "Under what conditions does Zoom do the automatic license assignment, and when does it not do the license assignment?"  I've done a quick review of the latest posts, and one or more of these situations seem to be present in many of them:

1. The user previously had a Pro account, which lapsed, was cancelled, or otherwise interrupted, and the user has renewed their license subscription.
  2. The user has been on a Basic account for a very long time -- perhaps years -- and has recently decided to move to a Pro account.

In some cases, it appears that there is indeed a glitch in the application or recognition of the License that can only be fixed on the back end by Zoom Support.

I've developed a macro to provide this information to most posts with these issues:

(Don't know what a macro is on your Community profile?  You're missing out!)

You need to assign your newly purchased license to your user account. See this web page for assistance:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004976063-Assigning-a-License

Follow these steps taken from the article:

1. Sign in to the Zoom web portal at https://zoom.us.
    2. Click User Management, then Users.
    3. Locate or search for the user who you want to assign a license. There will likely only be your single account – click your account
    4. Click Edit at the end of the user row. This will open a window.
    5. Choose the User Type to assign, selecting Licensed.
    6. After choosing the User Type, use the drop down to select the license. There should be an indication that you have 1 available user license if you have indeed purchased one or more new licenses. Click the available license.
    7. (Optional) Assign add-ons can be included by checking the boxes for the add-on. You will not likely have any add-ons, so you might skip this step.
    8. Click Save.

The license is now applied to your user account and you can use it immediately.

If this does not fix your issue, please submit a support ticket to our Billing team here and they will be able to assist you.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000983032

If you have any insight or opinions on why these situations of "New license not assigned" continue to occur, I'd like to know!  Maybe the automatic assignment process can be tweaked to reduce the number of posts with this issue.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !
3 REPLIES 3

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Ah, such great information here @Ray_Harwood! Thank you! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

HMS77
Listener

Hi Ray,

I have no idea why I can't access my zoom pro having purchased it two weeks ago now. I assumed that I would receive an email following payment, confirming my purchase and providing next steps. Why is there no contact at all from them? It seems crazy. Anyway, I've been trying to follow your advice in assuming that I need to assign a single licence (although I've only just opened up a basic account & I've never had this or pro before) but I'm struggling even to do that. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to locate or search for the user (is that because I have just the one account?) never mind find an edit button next to it. Please can you help with this? It's all so confusing. 

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @HMS77.

So you are correct that in many cases like this, you are THE owner, and there's nobody else involved.

When you go to the Admin -> User Management -> Users menu, you should see something like this:

Ray_Harwood_0-1692752229413.png

Except yours likely says "Basic" instead of "Licensed". 

If yours says Licensed, you should be able to have meetings longer than 40 minutes... but if not, follow my advice in the above post about making a Support Ticket to the Billing department -- preferably while logged into your account (which makes it easier to locate you, since the Ticket will be associated directly with your account at that point).

If yours says "Basic", then click the Edit button on the right side, and you should see an "Edit User" screen.  If you have purchased a Pro License, you can click the radio button in front of Licensed:

Ray_Harwood_1-1692752880884.png

and click the Save button.

If that doesn't change your status from Basic to Licensed, I'd still highly recommend sending a Billing Ticket using the steps above.  They should be able to assist you.  Please be patient -- it might take a few days to respond.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !