cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Phone Basic question (licensing)

Boyan
Attendee

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that users can be assigned "Zoom Phone Basic" plan which is extension-to-extension ONLY; we didn't pay for it so I'm assuming this is some kind of a free-bee

Our normal users get Zoom One Business Plus and our public area phones get Zoom Phone so my question is this:

Where did "Zoom Phone Basic" come from; since it doesn't show up in the billing section is there a limit to the users assigned "Zoom Phone Basic" and lastly could there be an ATA that I can assign "Zoom Phone Basic" to and use it just as intended for old POTS intercoms and extension-to-extension ONLY calling?

If yes what ATAs do you recommend, single POTS; or multiple; don't really care

Thanks

Boyan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sachinzoom
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi Boyan,

Yes I have tested it and have experience with this for a long time. Zoom basic accounts cannot be assigned a phone or ATA. 

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

sachinzoom

Hello,

You are right about the basic license. You can assign it to users for extension to extension calling. However, for ATAs you need a Zoom Phone license. For example with Poly OBI ATAs, refer to this article:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360052105152-Setting-up-faxing-Poly-OBi-series-ATA-

If this response helps, please accept the answer as an accepted solution, so others can benefit as well.

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi boyan,

Zoom users that are added as Zoom Phone users will automatically be assigned Zoom Phone Basic.  There is no limit to the number of Zoom Phone Basic users.

I have not tried it but I believe that you can assign an ata to a zoom phone basic user.  if the user is a fax machine, then a calling plan license is required because it will make and receive external calls. 

I have used poly ata OBi302 Analog Telephone Adapter with success.  See Zoom phone certified devices under analog gateways zoom phone certified ata

One client used ata and pots phone because of the difficulty of replacing the cat 3 telephone cable with cat 6 ethernet cable.  Instead of buying ata, you can get inexpensive, new or used, zoom certified desk phones such as grandstream and poly.

thanks,

eliot

sachinzoom

Hello Elliot,

You cannot assign a phone or ATA to a Zoom basic user.

sachinzoom_0-1675701745471.png

enielsen
Participant

ATA-wise the AudioCodes ones are very reliable but a pain to configure (at a minimum need an analog phone or a crossover ethernet cable to do initial configuration and frequently need a factory reset if re-assigning them). They now support grandstream ones, but I haven't yet tried them. Have not tried the Obi ones as have never found one available to purchase. 

Eliot

hi sachinzoom,

for test and demo purposes i have zoom basic users (migrated) that have poly desk phones.

can you point me to some support doc that says you cannot assign a desk phone or ata to a zoom phone basic user?

thanks,

eliot

sachinzoom

Hi @Eliot,

You are right for the Migrated users but not for regular Zoom basic users. 

Boyan
Attendee

Hey guys, instead of all of us trying to be the Jedi Master Yoda and theorize around it could someone with physical inventory test it and just report to the group? I don't have any poly inventory laying around, otherwise I would have loved to test this theory?

Thanks

Boyan

sachinzoom

Hi Boyan,

Yes I have tested it and have experience with this for a long time. Zoom basic accounts cannot be assigned a phone or ATA. 

Hope that helps

@sachinzoom Hi though this was answered already - something else just crossed my mind. Totally understandable that Zoom Basic can not be assigned to a physical phone just as you confirmed but what about ZPA? Since Zoom Phone Appliance phones run Android client, could a Zoom Basic be assigned to a "free user" logged into the ZPA just as the same would apply if that user was logged into Zoom's soft client? Would that achieve the end game of extension-only free physical phone?

I see a common use case where the cost of "common area" license just isn't economical to have few "guest physical phones" plus the features of 10DLC in/out calling just are not needed. I don't think we have a good economical Zoom license to satisfy that use case.

Boyan
Attendee

@sachinzoom Thank you so much for confirming, I suspected that it's too good to be true but you settled it sir, thank you. Oh well, will have to drop some $ for those ATAs. Boyan

sachinzoom

Hi Boyan,

Glad the response helped. Please accept the response as the Accepted solution so others can benefit as well.

Have a great day

tuolslengmuseum
Listener

Hello I have one question? before I was zoom is support my country Cambodia but I can't renew what is the problem ? The zoom company rejceted my country ? thanks you please help answer!

sachinzoom

Hi @tuolslengmuseum Cambodia is not a country where Zoom phone offers PSTN services if you are looking for a Zoom native license. You can make calls to Cambodia if you enable it though