cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5.11.3 upgrade, now zoom does not hear microphone

Sollner01773
Listener

I have two MacAir platforms that were working fine with Zoom. But then the 5.11.3 upgrade occurred a few weeks ago, and now both no longer have any microphone coming through Zoom. iOS systems are OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 (old, I know, but the latest that MacAir can use) and Monterey 10.11.6 (current). Opening System Preferences/Sound shows that both have working microphones, but Zoom audio test does not see any level in or put them through to Zoom output. I have checked that Zoom has permission to use the mikes. I have uninstalled Zoom, restarted, reinstalled Zoom, all to no avail. There are no  apps other than Zoom and Finder running. There is no antivirus software running. The Firewall is off.

All was well before update 5.11.3. I have found no way to downgrade to an earlier version. Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I finally found a solution, which might work for other Zoom issues. Since I had been using 5.8.0 to get around this problem, I was concerned when Bort posted that, in November, version 5.8.6 or higher would be required. So, I asked Bort what to do. He at first suggested that I start a ticket. I explained that I didn't seem to be able to start a ticket, because next to the ticket button is a statement that Basic and Pro users can only submit tickets for billing issues(!).  Bort took pity on me and submitted a ticket on my behalf. Within a day Andrew H. got back to me with the following instructions:

... from Zoom Support ...

On both of these Mac's go to your desktop.
Click on the 'Go' option in the top left hand Mac menu.
Hold down the option key and select 'Library'
Open the folder 'Application Support'
Delete any folders in here titled 'Zoom'
Go to Applications in your finder and make sure Zoom is missing, if it's still here delete it.

Next, reinstall from zoom.us/support/download
Open System Preferences and then Security and Privacy.
Make sure Zoom is checked on for Camera, Mic, and Screen Recording.

... end Zoom Support...

In addition, I used the Finder/Go/Go to Folder command to look in all the following and remove anything with Zoom in the title:

• ~/Library/Caches
  • ~/Library/Logs
  • ~/Library/Cookies
  • ~/Library/Saved Application State

There were a few, though I'm not sure how important this step is. Then I emptied the trash, restarted, and followed the reinstall instruction above.

This did the trick! These actions get rid of files that may be corrupted, though since both my Mac Airs had the problem, it's more likely that some of the remnants of earlier installations were incompatible with 5.11.3 and following.

I also asked Andrew H. if it's really true that I can't submit a ticket as a Pro member. No response yet.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Sollner01773
Listener

First the bad news: version 5.11.5 shows the same issue.

Then the good news: I found a version 5.8.0 in my downloads that handles microphones just fine!

No thanks to Zoom, though. Let's hope they fix this issue before they require versions newer than 5.8.0 to log in, as they have versions 4.x.x. Zoom support is nonexistent, even for Zoom Pro users like me.

I really have no idea why other Mac Air users are not reporting this issue, since it shows up on both of mine. Maybe they have just given up on Zoom support. Driving me mad, it was.

Sollner01773
Listener

5.11.6 still does not recognize any microphone! 5.8.0 still works fine.

I seem to be talking to myself here. Is there no Zoom guru who can help?

I finally found a solution, which might work for other Zoom issues. Since I had been using 5.8.0 to get around this problem, I was concerned when Bort posted that, in November, version 5.8.6 or higher would be required. So, I asked Bort what to do. He at first suggested that I start a ticket. I explained that I didn't seem to be able to start a ticket, because next to the ticket button is a statement that Basic and Pro users can only submit tickets for billing issues(!).  Bort took pity on me and submitted a ticket on my behalf. Within a day Andrew H. got back to me with the following instructions:

... from Zoom Support ...

On both of these Mac's go to your desktop.
Click on the 'Go' option in the top left hand Mac menu.
Hold down the option key and select 'Library'
Open the folder 'Application Support'
Delete any folders in here titled 'Zoom'
Go to Applications in your finder and make sure Zoom is missing, if it's still here delete it.

Next, reinstall from zoom.us/support/download
Open System Preferences and then Security and Privacy.
Make sure Zoom is checked on for Camera, Mic, and Screen Recording.

... end Zoom Support...

In addition, I used the Finder/Go/Go to Folder command to look in all the following and remove anything with Zoom in the title:

• ~/Library/Caches
  • ~/Library/Logs
  • ~/Library/Cookies
  • ~/Library/Saved Application State

There were a few, though I'm not sure how important this step is. Then I emptied the trash, restarted, and followed the reinstall instruction above.

This did the trick! These actions get rid of files that may be corrupted, though since both my Mac Airs had the problem, it's more likely that some of the remnants of earlier installations were incompatible with 5.11.3 and following.

I also asked Andrew H. if it's really true that I can't submit a ticket as a Pro member. No response yet.

I have tried all of this, but since the " upgrade" the microphone simply does not work .  I have to use my phone. I am amazed that zoom  is so thoughtless that the so called "upgrade "makes the program nonfunctional.  This has been going  on for months, and zoom has done nothing 

Hello Sollner 01773.  I do not have a Mac.  I have a Dell computer, just bought last year.  I use Zoom for 3 meetings every Thursday.  I can usually get through 45 minutes of the first meeting before I get the message that my mic has stopped working.  "Your microphone is not working.  Please check your connection or use a different mic."  Last week when I tried to change the mic it froze my computer screen.  This week I learned that I have maybe one chance to do something, like shut down, before my screen is frozen.  How do solve this issur on a pc?

denisearnold23
Listener

I don't have a mac... I have a pc... and my microphone just stopped working.  I have shut off, disconnected, uninstalled zoom, reinstalled zoom, checked all my privacy buttons.  HELP!  

JanetDella
Listener

Did you every get this resolved?

My mic just stopped working about half a week ago.  I have shut off, disconnected, contacted Zoom, installed and update, and nothing has resolved it yet.  Computer mic and audio are fine.  It's a Zoom issue.

Hi, 

Did you or anyone ever get this figured out? Having the same issue on a MacBook M2 Pro, mic/webcam works with every other app with no issues.

SYK1
Listener

I had to change my Audio Profile from Auto to LOW.