cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Chat (not in-meeting chat) on ChromeOS

Yosef55
Listener

Hey my niece has a crappy old Windows laptop, and I was considering converting it to a Chrome Book using ChromeOS Flex. but she's weary of using ChromeOS because of Zoom.
The default (old) Zoom app for ChromeOS, as well as the new Zoom - For Chrome (PWA) are both great for video calls, but both lack 1 critical feature.
During Zoom meetings there's an "in meeting chat" that works great. but her and all her friends use the "Zoom Chat" (or external chat -not in meeting) to communicate all the time with her friends about everything, but both the default (old) Zoom & the new Zoom PWA don't contain this chat feature.

1. Is there anyway to add external Zoom chat (not in meeting) to the Zoom PWA app?

2. How do I download the Android Zoom app (Zoom Cloud Meeting), in which the external Zoom chat works great, on my Chromebook?
As when I go to the app store it says my device is not compatible, even though ChromeOS can run android apps which is what Zoom Cloud Meeting is?

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @Yosef55 

Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA to share for this. I would recommend keeping an eye on the PWA release notes, as such an addition would certainly be included in release notes. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Bort

Hi @Yosef55 

Unfortunately, the PWA does not support Zoom Chat yet

As for potentially installing the Android version on ChromeOS, the Chromium team has some instructions on how to do this: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/7021273?hl=en 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Yosef55
Listener

Hey Bort,

Thank you so much for your swift reply.

Do you have a possible ETA for Zoom Chat on PWA? A best guest?

Thank you very much!

Bort

Hi @Yosef55 

Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA to share for this. I would recommend keeping an eye on the PWA release notes, as such an addition would certainly be included in release notes. 

Hi 

Yosef55
Listener

Hey Bort,

Good afternoon!

I had already visited: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/7021273?hl=en 

Although that includes directions on installing the Google Play Store on ChromeOS, I already have that installed.

The problem is that when I search the Google Play Store for Zoom Cloud Meeting (the android version WITH Zoom Chat) it doesn't come up. Only Zoom for Chrome (PWA) comes up. And when searching for it online it says "device is not compatible" even though ChromeOS should be able to run any Android app (including Zoom Cloud Meeting).

How can I find Zoom Cloud Meeting in the app store on my ChormeBook?

Do I need to side-load it using Linux commands?

Thank you very much!

Bort

Sorry, but I don't have any info beyond that. It could be that Android apps are not supported on the ChromeOS Flex, as they don't list that as a supported Chromebook or ChromeOS: https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps

Yosef55
Listener

Hey Bort,

My laptop is a regular top of the line ASUS Chromebook, so that shouldn't have anything to do with it.
ChromeOS Flex, is a version of ChromeOS designed to be installed on old windows laptops.

Was thinking of upgrading my nieces laptop by transforming it from Windows to ChromOS (Flex) but can't because Zoom Chat is critical for her.

Thank you very much!