cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Abusing Zoom Chat

boltscz
Listener

Our district has been using zoom since the pandemic.  Students have signed up with their 'school' email address - and all teachers and staff have a licensed version.  Unfortunately students are now using the zoom chat feature inappropriately and without having to disable or remove zoom from their ipads is there any thing I can do to stop this, or to disable chat?

8 REPLIES 8

Adanna_Zoom
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello boltscz,

Thank you for your inquiry.

As the host, you can control who participants are allowed to chat with. You can also disable the chat feature for all participants, or disable private chat  so participants cannot send private messages to other participants. Please see the following support document on how to disable this feature - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004809306-Enabling-or-disabling-in-meeting-chat.

Kindly click on Accept solution if this response has answered your query.

Thanks,
Adanna

boltscz
Listener

Thank you for the reply!!  The chatting isn't actually isn't even taking place during meetings.  They are using the chat feature similar to 'google hangouts or facebook messenger' as a backdoor means of communication with one another.  Obviously from an education stand point, the lack of logging of the chats is concerning b/c essentially even though they registered with their school email account - it really becomes their own personal zoom account.

Adanna_Zoom

Thank you for the clarification. Zoom Chat has account-level settings that apply to all users.  You can disable Allowing users to chat function in Security settings shown here - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360058191392-Deploying-and-configuring-Zoom-Chat#assigning...

Thanks,
Adanna

boltscz
Listener

Thank you for the reply.  I just want to be sure I am following here:  Our students are using free zoom accounts, not licensed by the school district.  Only our teachers have a zoom license.  They are signing up using their school email accounts but I do not have a central management of their zoom accounts.

We are struggling with the same issue. Students are using Free accounts to chat with their classmates. Why is there even a messaging component to Zoom? I can understand chat being an option during meetings, but outside of a meeting, it is just a problem. 

We have no answers, nor has anyone provided us with a viable option.  Hence we are considering canceling our 350 Teacher Zoom Licenses and using Google Meet since that atleast gives us a bit more in the ways of controls.

Did you ever find a work around for this? I thought we were the only ones going through that

Adanna_Zoom

Hello ,

Thank you all for your responses.

I'm sorry to hear that you have not received suitable responses. Based on your comments  I recommend you get a Zoom for Education licensed account - https://explore.zoom.us/docs/en-us/education.html. This way you can consolidate all users that have signed up for Zoom using  your domain and manage how Zoom is used at an account, group or user level. Giving you the ability to turn off Chat, File sharing and gain full control over how Zoom is used. 

Please contact your account manager or our Sales Team for more information.

Thanks,
Adanna