cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying and pasting in to chat box

Van_Raath
Listener

Hello - is there a reason why I can no longer cut and paste from PPT and put it directly into the chat box?

10 REPLIES 10

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @Van_Raath,

First, I assume you're talking about regular Zoom Chat, not Meeting Chat.

I'm on Windows 10 with Microsoft 365 PowerPoint Version 2201 (File -> Account -> About) and just updated the Zoom client to 5.11.11, and was able to copy-paste from the PowerPoint edit window to Chat just fine:

From...

Ray_Harwood_0-1662730911638.png

To...

Ray_Harwood_1-1662730955653.png

Any more information about what you're doing differently?  I'll test on my end... but looks like basic copy-paste should work fine from PowerPoint to Chat.

FYI... it also copied to Meeting Chat too:

Ray_Harwood_2-1662731107366.png

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Nope - this didn't solve the problem, unfortunately! Thanks for trying!

LGreer
Listener

Howdy! 

I have colleagues on my team who are experiencing the same thing as @Van_Raath.  Like @Ray_Harwood, I personally am able to copy/paste from a PPT to Zoom chat without issue but as my team's Zoom administrator, I am trying to track down an explanation or solution that will help my colleagues out.   I have double-checked....we are all running the same version of Windows and Zoom.  We are unsure of why some folks can no longer copy/paste from PPT to Zoom and why some of us have encountered no trouble.  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Ray_Harwood

Thanks, @LGreer.  This discussion might also help you, @Van_Raath.

In my original answer,  the very important detail is that I copied from the edit window in PowerPoint.  Look at the full layout of the window in the screen shot above... I'm editing the presentation.

What I'm unable to do, however, is copy from the Slide Show screen or the Presenter View.  This is not a Zoom issue... it's PowerPoint being in presentation mode, and it's just pixels on the screen - not text that can be copied or manipulated.  Any changes (and hence, any copy/cut/paste operations) have to be done in the edit window

Ask your users the clarifying question: WHERE in PowerPoint are you trying to copy from?  And are you able to Copy something, but not able to Paste it?  Maybe even ask them to "Copy something, paste it into a Word document.  If that works, go straight to Zoom and try to Paste.  Does that work?"  If you can copy it, and you can paste it into Word, I've personally not tried anything that can't be pasted into Zoom Chat.  (Meeting Chat has some restrictions.)

When they say "I can't copy and paste", I have to ask, "Which part doesn't work... the copy part, or the paste part?"

I'll be interested to hear what you find out!

HIya - I am trying to copy directly from the text on the PPT. So not in presenter mode but by highlighting the text on the slide. It used to work but now doesn't 😞 

LGreer
Listener

Hi @Ray_Harwood 

I've asked my colleagues these same questions.  We are a relatively tech-savvy crew around here.  No one is in presentation mode while trying to copy/paste.  The presentation is open on their desktop.  They need to be able to either copy/paste text from the notes section for a slide or text from the actual slide.   This is a function that all members of my team have previously been able to do and can no longer perform without apparent explanation.   Yes, they can copy text from the PPT into a Word doc.  Their current workaround is to copy the text from the PPT into a Word doc and then copy/paste it from Word to the Zoom chat.

I can confirm that our account settings have not been changed recently.  However, I did check to ensure that nothing was set in such a way that it would prevent them from pasting text into the chat.  

I'm curious to see if anyone else who has encountered a similar issue responds to this chat thread and if they have found an explanation or solution.

Ray_Harwood

One more question: Are they highlighting just text, or grouping items within PowerPoint?  I grabbed a whole text BOX and clicked copy, and got the part highlighted in yellow here (green highlight was "just text" from before):

Ray_Harwood_1-1662747158914.png

If I click on either of them, the full item pops up sort of like the green hightlighted box.

I've been through all the Zoom Support articles -  not much to go on!  One small thing to try:

Look for this icon at the bottom of the Zoom Chat window (highlighted in yellow):

Ray_Harwood_0-1662746369551.png

I think this is new, and when clicked, opens up a Rich Text Format editing box that might (I think) allow more pasting options.

I'll ping a few more resources and see what else I can find.

LGreer
Listener

Thanks @Ray_Harwood -- I'll check it out!

Thanks for your assistance so far! @Ray_Harwood  & @LGreer  🙂 

Jabmn
Listener

I have experienced the same problem as LGreer and Van Raath.  Can't paste from PPT (either from the slide or notes) into a meeting chat in the way I was able to just a week or ago.  I'm no expert but did some experimentation and discovered that if I copy from PPT and use Crtl+V to paste into the chat, it appears.  However, if I copy from PPT and right click in the chat box, get the drop down menu and click on PASTE, it will not work.  Previously, I was able to use the drop down PASTE.