cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Virtual Workspaces - Setting Up Issues

gbarber_sdm
Listener

Reading through the message boards, it seems like others have set up Virtual Workspaces without any issues.  I can't get past the first screen.  I have a mini Intel PC with Windows 11 Pro, and hooked up to two monitors - no tablet.  I've downloaded (and redownloaded, many times) the Zoom Rooms client.  I've setup the Virtual Workspaces in my admin panel, and created the floor plan so people can reserve the desk from their mobile phones or via the QR code.  When I login to the Zoom Rooms client, the first message is to pair with my controller (which I prefer not to have).  In testing, I've tried to connect to a tablet using the pair code, which tells me there's an error - basically the "desk" never appears in my pairing list, just my "zoom rooms".  However, I've also bypassed the controller code by entering an activation code which gives me an error that I need to upgrade Zoom Rooms and contact IT.  I've deleted and re-downloaded the client many times and have the latest version.  Upon contacting the Zoom support, the support person (who seemed to not be familiar with this feature) told me that the Virtual Workspaces only worked with a touchscreen monitor (which seemed absurd), but I for my testing I purchased a touchscreen monitor, which also didn't work.  Stick stuck at the screen telling me to update Zoom Rooms.  At this point, I'm stuck.  I'm going to test with another computer and see if that does anything, but I'd be interested in what others are using in terms of devices to set up and if possible, what you did to get things to work.  Seems like it should be as simple as setting up the zoom rooms, which I've done about a dozen times now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pieterbotes
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

You can make it work like that.  That device is called a DTEN ME (there are various brands and models of these types of units, example: Neat Frame, DTEN Me Pro, ).  It is essentially a Zoom Room running on an appliance (Android based) that is touch screen based.  Various models will give you various capabilities.

If you build a Zoom Room Touch then you can do the same thing but you will need a camera, mic, speakers and will not specifically be able to hook your HDMI from a laptop onto it if you just do a pc/Mac build.

I would recommend looking at the different vendors out there doing these personal All-in-One type devices for Zoom.  You find something that really suites your use case.

Have this answered your question? If so, don’t forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pieterbotes

Hi

Just to clarify, are you trying to setup a shared Zoom Room on that desk or just trying to make the desk with some screens etc available for booking?

Thanks!

gbarber_sdm
Listener

The latter.  I want folks to be able to reserve the desk with monitors via the floor plan … they can use their phones or we can have a kiosk available which could be a touchscreen kiosk.   I was also hoping that the desk itself would display a message on the screen that it was reserved so no one just walks up to use it.  At this point it might be better to just put an iPad next to the computer showing that it’s reserved and/or giving folks the ability to reserve at the desk using the iPad.

pieterbotes

Understood.  Couple of options for this.

1. You could just do a desk with the screens and a docking station or something around that line and just have a printed out QR code which users can scan from their phone (Zoom Mobile app) to check in to the desk.  They will reserve the desk like normal on the Zoom Workspace reservation system.  This will not cover your requirement for having something on the desk to show the desk is booked but you could have a general kiosk in a general area to show booked desks and also where users can book a desk.
  2. You can definitely use a Zoom Room Touch on the desk also.  Let me know what the error was that you got when trying to set this up.  Here is a link to how to use it:  Using Workspace Reservation for Zoom Rooms – Zoom Support
  3. You can also use an iPad and set it up as a Scheduling display.  After setting it up, you can go to the scheduling displays settings and convert it to a "Reservation Only Room (Workspace)".
  4. Also, the original error you were getting, might be because the touch controller wasn't found but without additional details on that I really couldn't give a solid answer on that.

Let me know which direction you want to go and we can look into how to set that up for you.

Thanks!

gbarber_sdm
Listener

Sounds good.  I'll use a tablet to show the desk is reserved.  I was hoping that it would work more like this image from your website.  Sounds like in order to get that to happen, I would need a special monitor.  Appreciate your time.

pieterbotes

You can make it work like that.  That device is called a DTEN ME (there are various brands and models of these types of units, example: Neat Frame, DTEN Me Pro, ).  It is essentially a Zoom Room running on an appliance (Android based) that is touch screen based.  Various models will give you various capabilities.

If you build a Zoom Room Touch then you can do the same thing but you will need a camera, mic, speakers and will not specifically be able to hook your HDMI from a laptop onto it if you just do a pc/Mac build.

I would recommend looking at the different vendors out there doing these personal All-in-One type devices for Zoom.  You find something that really suites your use case.

Have this answered your question? If so, don’t forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution!

Thanks!

gbarber_sdm
Listener

Sounds good.  That's the piece of information that I'd need.  Thanks.