cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to set up Yealink CP965 as a Zoom Room Controller

Mohamed_Sleem
Listener

Hi, I hope some can help me.

I am trying to sign in to zoom room controller that I installed on to the CP965 using a configuration file found here: https://zoom.us/client/latest/zrc.apk

When I run the app it take me to a sign in screen with options to sign in using, email, SSO, google or facebook. However I am told by our admins that I need to sign in using an activation code which they have given me. The activation code has worked on the Zoom Rooms app installed on windows micro desktop and is shows me the the room the activation code refers to. But I just can find how I use the activation code through the ZRC app on the CP965.

I have already update the firmware with the certified custom firmware found here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360001299063-Zoom-Phone-Certified-Hardware#h_746bf277-ad09...

Some of the support articles I found on Zoom support also suggest that you can sign in using an activation code but again I cant fine this option. 

What am i doing wrong?

37 REPLIES 37

MikeS2483
Listener

The custom firmware for the Phone that Zoom publishes is only if you're using that device as a conference phone. I haven't seen any custom ZoomRoom firmware for the CP965 (only the CP960, which is going EOS in February, 2024). I'm not sure there is a workaround here, but you should probably share a couple of screenshots. Given that you posted this 2 months ago, and nobody in-house (with Zoom) responded, it likely means this isn't possible without digging in to the API and doing a custom-job on the CP965's coding.

Thanks for the reply, I kind of given up on the post, but is it helps I'll pull together some screenshots. I'll have wait until next week due to a lot of work on

MikeS2483
Listener

Just saw that they added support for the CP 965 in the newest release. Release notes for Zoom Rooms Android Controller – Zoom Support

vikramgupte
Listener

Hi Mohamed, Did you get this working on the CP965?

MikeS2483
Listener

It appears that you can do it in BYOD mode, here's the article I found on Yealink's website. I would contact Zoom support (just in case they know something that we don't) to make sure this will work: Yealink Support

JimHolley
Listener

Interesting thread for me.  I have a CP960 and was thinking of upgrading to CP965.  the CP960 works great for us as a Zoom controller and the latest software on the CP960 allows connections to Webex and Teams as well.  I rather not upgrade, but appears it is inevitable next year.  That said, I do not feel Yealink will fully support a Zoom controller for long term on the CP965 and they are promoting heavily their Meeting Bars with tablets as a controller.  Will have to make a decision in January 2024.  

Robertoey
Listener

The CP965 now works as a Zoom Room controller (note that depending on how old the firmware is you might need to upgrade in steps, which requires firmware version only support can supply).

However, once converted I can no longer connect wireless mics to it.  I'm waiting on Yealink support to tell me if there's some way to pair them without the options on the BYOD UI, which aren't accessible in the controller firmware.

How did you get this done? We also have a CP965 that is supposed to replace our CP960 as a Zoom Room Controller. I am not finding any guides. We are using a Windows mini-pc.

@RichardYawe  - it took a few weeks of 'discussion' with Yealink support, and eventually they gave me a firmware update that was between the one we had installed and the one they provide with Zoom Room support and we did the two updates in sequence.  You have to connect to the device's web interface and navigate to the firmware update page, then:

1. Upgrade to 143.86.3.200  https://drive.yealink.com:4443/link/87E1C9901653F6AB97C20898B15DBDB5  

2. Upgrade to 143.30.0.10 https://support.yealink.com/en/portal/docDetail?documentCode=8373e83a8f824c9d

Thanks @Robertoey let me give it a shot. Cannot seem to get any response from Yealink.

Saved my day 👌. Worked perfectly

this is super helpful - about to do the same upgrade path from CP960 to CP965. 

Does the 965 offer access to SIP like the 960 did? We run 960 as a BYOD zoom room controller, driving from a windows PC connected to room screen. The 960 allows us to switch to SIP mode to use it as just a SIP phone with our SIP provider (we dont use Zoom for SIP phone numbers)

We use Zoom Phone, so SIP integration isn't an issue.  From what I recall (as I am not on-site this week, so can't check) there is no direct SIP access on the device once it is in Zoom Room mode, but I may be mistaken so will check when back in next week.  I'm pretty sure Zoom Rooms has SIP integration settings in the web config UI, but I can't see then there now (maybe due to having Zoom Phone enabled).

That might be a better question for Yealink. The CP960 had SIP mode when you went into the browser UI and turned on Hybrid mode. 

Same issue here. 

@Robertoey the first link on your reply is not working anymore.

When trying to install the firmware in the second link, it says "ROM Invalid" and doesn't install.

I am now using firmware 143.86.3.5 and have a ticket opened with Yealink support.

I did wonder how long that link would persist.  I may have the file and am happy to provide it, but don't want to post here as I suspect I'm not really meant to reshare it.  I'll see if I have it still and we can then work out how best to get it to you.  Back in a bit!

I seem to have every version apart from that one on the two systems I can access today.  I have another laptop that's off at the site where the CP965 lives, so there's a pretty good chance the file is there.  I'll look on Tuesday when I am back on-site.

The 'Invalid ROM' error is exactly what you get if you try to go straight to the Zoom Rooms firmware from 143.86.3.5, BTW, so that's expected.

Looks like I do have the file now I am on-site and have access to the laptop.  Not sure I can share it here, but I have messaged you directly with a link.

@JanaP  - could I get a copy of the missing ROM file if you now have it?

Hi Robertoey, 
You wouldn't still have the 143.86.3.200 firmware file and be willing to share it?
The drive.yealink link has expired and Yealink Support is taking ages to answer.
Thank you very much if you can, and no worries if you can't 

Hi @PascalM, try this link:

https://drive.yealink.com:4443/link/F0364ED416C9E9D2CF38B8DB5FBB5087

It will be available until May 11, 2024

Same as @RichardYawe 

I'm just getting around to upgrading our CP960s to CP965s because of the EOL. I am not able to find any setup guides for this... anyone have anything they can share with me? I was not in this job when the CP960s were installed, and I have no experience with them. Thanks in advance!

vabulyan
Listener

Hello, I plan to purchase and test the CP965. YeaLink support told me to use this link for the Zoom room firmware version:

https://support.yealink.com/en/portal/docList?archiveType=software&productCode=0ce7cb8de1dd4054

I wonder once I upgrade to that version, if the wireless mics will work. Hoping it will, since YeaLink support is a bit slow to catch up with what Zoom certifies hardware that can be used as a Zoom Room.

Yealink support have confirmed that the Zoom Rooms firmware for the CP965 does not currently support their wireless mics.  Very disappointing.  Support are 'letting R&D know' !

IanICMS
Listener

Hi all,

For anyone interested, Zoom responded with the following yesterday when I asked about support for the CP965:

You are correct, recently we just added this device under the support hardware device for Zoom Room controllers.
However, our Engineers mentioned that the Yealink CP965 Zoom Room Controller Firmware release is targeted by the end of October with the Yealink Team.
For now, there is no posted documentation yet in our support article.

So, hopefully, we'll see some working firmware very soon!

Mohamed_Sleem
Listener

We've managed to set up the CP965 as a Zoom Room device. Been in action for a few weeks now and is working well. And yes, you can not use the wireless extension mics after installing the Zoom Room firmware. The option in the setting no longer exists to connect extension mics. But for now it's not been a problem use.

ehsfriend
Listener

Thanks for the replies. I received a message back from Yealink in which they said: 

The CP965 actually works a bit different than CP960, and yes it does support the use of a Zoom Room controller or a SIP phone or a BYOD device, but you may only choose one of them since each one of them are using an individual firmware.

+ + +

So based on this, it sounds like my goal to have the CP965 function as both a Zoom Room Controller and to have a SIP button that can pull up SIP phone mode is not possible. 

So for my use case I will need to look at using Zoom's VOIP offering for the phone component (we need phone/SIP dial out capability in our Zoom Conf room) or switching to the Poly Trio C60 which I think can support both Zoom Room and SIP at the same time like the old Yealink CP960

IanICMS
Listener

Just received an update from Yealink Support about the release of new Zoom Rooms firmware for CP965. This is what they said:

Yes, I just confirmed with R&D team that next firmware version of CP965 for Zoom support upgrade from 143.86.3.5 to latest Zoom edition version and use for Zoom Room Controller. 

It may be officially released on the official website in December.

bstrelko
Community Champion | Customer

Also wanted to confirm here that we currently have a CP965 running ZRC and are able to connect it both with [wired USB + PoE LAN ] and [PoE LAN + Windows Virtual USB for ZR Plugin]. These should also pair over LAN with Yealink appliances, but Yealink has gone back and forth on this in conversations. Very exciting stuff, as we're looking to move away from dual-cable / non-locking cable setups for speakerphones in conference rooms.

JanaP
Listener

Just saw a new firmware update for the Yealink CP965.

https://support.yealink.com/en/portal/docList?archiveType=software&productCode=0ce7cb8de1dd4054

I am trying to find the details of the new firmware but I couldn't find it.

I have not updated the firmware yet.

lorenfl
Listener

Hello, I have setup my new Yealink CP965, however it comes up with the error "Connect to Yealink Plug-In failed!". Does anyone have the correct link to the plug-in to download to the windows PC?

tandcp4736
Listener

I'm just getting around to upgrading our CP960s to CP965s because of the EOL. I am not able to find any setup guides for this... anyone have anything they can share with me? I was not in this job when the CP960s were installed and I have no experience with them. Thanks in advance!

bstrelko

Steps required in October 2023:

-Obtain CP965 fw v.146.86.3.200 from Yealink directly - upgrade to this version

-Obtain CP965 fw v.143.30.0.10 from Yealink directly - downgrade to this version

At this point, you'll be able to run the CP965 as a Zoom Rooms Controller, manage via ZDM, etc., but will need to connect it via USB for audio i/o.
If you wish to use this as a virtual USB audio i/o device over LAN on a Windows PC, you'll need to reach out to Yealink once again to obtain the Zoom Rooms virtual USB plugin for Windows.

Unfortunately, none of this info is published anywhere - just sharing anecdotal evidence.

I can confirm this has worked for an install we did on January 23rd, so thank you for posting the links to the various firmwares required. The only issue we've run into is that the wireless mics don't seem to be recognized. I'll open a ticket with Yealink on this and hope for the best! We bought the CP965 because it was listed as a supported device. Its been much more fiddly than the Poly conference room phones we've used in the past.

Yes, got all of mine set up last week also. All are working with the required firmware updates. I would agree, not a very easy process, I think Yealink is trying to push a more expensive option, but with our Zoom Rooms not being used very much this was the best option for us. 

Would be interested in what Yealink has to say about the wireless mics.

Any luck in getting the wireless mics to pair to it?

Yealink says Q2 on wireless mic support. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm actually struggling to get this device to NOT be a Zoom Room controller anymore. Any time I try flashing it with the Yealink firmware (tried both 143.86.0.10 and 143.86.3.200) it makes it about 11-12% of the way through the process then reboots...staying at the CP965 Zoom Edition firmware (143.30.0.10).

😕