cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing Zoom Rooms

Ray8
Listener

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question.  But I've been asked to evaluate Zoom Rooms for my office and I was following these instructions:  https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360000163266 .

I don't believe they are correct -- it seems to me that a Zoom Rooms account is required to test this.

I've downloaded the Windows software on a PC and the Android controller.  I'm at the stage where I need to pair them up and a 6-letter code appears on the Windows machine, but the phone says the code is invalid.  If I try to log in, it says my account hasn't been registered for it...which is true.  So, I think I'm either doing something wrong or there are more to the instructions...or maybe trial access has since been disabled?

In order to test it, could someone let me know:

1. Do I need to log in on either or both and whether it has to be logged in with the same account?
  2. If a paid account is needed on either the controller or the PC or both?
  3. Do they communicate with each other via Bluetooth (i.e., should I pair them somehow up first in the OS)?
  4. Anything else that I'm doing wrong or might be missing?

My workplace does have a site license for Zoom, but I think Zoom Rooms is something completely different and using that account or my own probably doesn't make a difference?

Any help would be appreciated -- thank you!

Ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ChrisO
Note Taker

Hi Ray,

Zoom Rooms require a license separate from Zoom meetings as it is a different service. You can verify if you have an available license in the Admin portion of the Zoom web portal. Under "Room Management" click on "Zoom Rooms" and look to the far right of the screen in about the middle height-wise, you will see the number of active rooms and licenses available (as seen in the screenshot below). If you have available licenses you will need to generate an activation code and sign into the Zoom Room using that code then pair the controller by using an activation code as well. Both devices need to be on the same network to communicate, so if your tablet is on wireless and the wireless vlan can not see the vlan the controller is on they will not work together.

ChrisO_0-1662118820303.png

Please remember to mark responses as accepted if they resolve your issue.
***Sometimes success is only achieved through many failures!***

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ChrisO
Note Taker

Hi Ray,

Zoom Rooms require a license separate from Zoom meetings as it is a different service. You can verify if you have an available license in the Admin portion of the Zoom web portal. Under "Room Management" click on "Zoom Rooms" and look to the far right of the screen in about the middle height-wise, you will see the number of active rooms and licenses available (as seen in the screenshot below). If you have available licenses you will need to generate an activation code and sign into the Zoom Room using that code then pair the controller by using an activation code as well. Both devices need to be on the same network to communicate, so if your tablet is on wireless and the wireless vlan can not see the vlan the controller is on they will not work together.

ChrisO_0-1662118820303.png

Hi ChrisO,

Thank you for the clarification!  From that first link I had in my message, I thought it was possible for me to try it before purchasing (or, to be precise, suggest to my supervisor whether or not to buy it).

But you've confirmed what I thought -- which is that a Zoom Rooms license is required.

I'm quite certain our institute doesn't have a license.  But thank you for the additional information -- it will be helpful if/when we get a license.  And I can give up playing with Bluetooth...I wasn't sure if that was required to be on.

Thank you for your help!

Ray

Hi Ray,

I would suggest reaching out to your CSM and requesting a trial. Maybe they will give you a temporary trial license to test it and see if it meets your needs.

Hi ChrisO,

That's a good idea!  I suppose I shouldn't give up so easily.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Ray