cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help creating a conference, designated participants are visible - others can only access chat pls!

LBHS1873
Listener

Hi,

Apologies for long-winded title.   As a school, we have a basic Zoom accounts but we want to host a conference where four participants are visible and others sign in / join but can only have access to a chat facility to ask questions; no video / audio other than the four hosts.  Is Zoom Rooms the answer I need or can I do this through a standard meeting and change some settings?

Any help / suggestions much appreciated. 

Regards,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ohkawa
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, LBHS1873

What you want to do is to have four participants who can view the video and make statements, but the other participants can only listen and chat?
If so, a webinar is a good idea.
A webinar has four roles: host, co-host, panelists, and attendees, and the attendees can only listen and chat.

Getting started with webinar – Zoom Help Center

"Attendees are view-only participants, who can be unmuted if the host chooses. Their view of the webinar is controlled by the host. The maximum number of attendees is determined by your webinar license (500, 1000, 3000, etc.). They can interact with the host and the panelists through the Q&A and in-webinar chat."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ohkawa

Hi, LBHS1873

What you want to do is to have four participants who can view the video and make statements, but the other participants can only listen and chat?
If so, a webinar is a good idea.
A webinar has four roles: host, co-host, panelists, and attendees, and the attendees can only listen and chat.

Getting started with webinar – Zoom Help Center

"Attendees are view-only participants, who can be unmuted if the host chooses. Their view of the webinar is controlled by the host. The maximum number of attendees is determined by your webinar license (500, 1000, 3000, etc.). They can interact with the host and the panelists through the Q&A and in-webinar chat."

Thank you - I really appreciate the time taken to reply (and the solution!)

StefanScherbik
Participant

I'll add this.  Zoom's webinar licenses can be expensive.  But they actually recently added Focus Mode:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360061113751-Focus-mode-

I haven't used it much but essentially it lets you use some webinar functionality without having a Webinar license.  All you have to do is turn it on for your account via admin Account Settings.  Then, users will have a "Start Focus Mode" button under "More" in their meetings.  So they can get host rights, assign anyone who's a speaker as a co-host, and then start Focus Mode to make it so attendees can only see the Host and Co-Hosts.  And it's no extra charge--works with any free or Pro account.