cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZoomPhone Mobile Softphone

AnthonyB
Listener

Hi,

I have just finished a migration of our small business phone system to Zoom Phone and in most respects it works well with the exception of the Mobile (softphone) App.  The ZoomPhone Website shows that there is a softphone app that can be used to make calls on you mobile, but it turns out to NOT be a softphone app after all.  The App is not recognised as a Phone App on our Samsung Android phones so any mobile phone calls are prioritised over Zoom Phone calls (pausing the Zoom call until the actual phone call is dealt with) and because the phone doesn't understand it to be a Phone App you can't answer calls or make calls using standard hands-free technology in the car.  This is going to be a BIG problem for our sales team if we can't get a resolution to this.  Any ideas or workarounds known ?

11 REPLIES 11

IP-Man
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@AnthonyB 

You might want to check specific settings that allows Zoom phone on mobile app.

Admin>Account Management> Account Settings> Zoom Phone>Zoom Phone on Mobile

IPMan_0-1663077415011.png

If this has answered or help find a solution to your question , please click the Accept as Solution button below so that others in the Community may benefit as well.

Thanks

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply.  This is all turned on and we can use the Zoom app on our phone to make and receive calls, but the phone does not recognise the Zoom App as a "phone app" so you can't go into phone settings and make the Zoom App your default Phone app for calls.  This means that incoming mobile phone calls will override any Zoom call you are on (suspending the Zoom call while it rings).  The Zoom app is not recognised by our mobile phones as a Phone App which has always been the case for any Softphone Apps we have previously tested.

IP-Man

Ideally Zoom should work on any mobile phone(IOS or Android) unless you have a company wide policy for your mobile devices that restricts applications.

Cheers!

We have no restrictions and the Zoom app lets me make calls and receive calls, but during 1 Zoom call this morning, my mobile phone rang 3 times and each time it puts the Zoom call on hold (mid sentence).  This makes the Zoom app unusable for any conversations of importance.  The Zoom App clearly is not a proper softphone App as the website suggests and after moving our company to ZoomPhone we may now have to migrate again to something else that works properly.

BrandonS
Community Champion | Zoom Partner
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

I've been following this and waiting for someone who uses Zoom Phone on Android to confirm or deny if this is a known issue.  I've only used it on iPhone and it works as expected without interruption from other calls.

I would think a quick Google search would reveal if this was a widespread, known issue but it doesn't so I am pretty curious now.

You didn't mention if you running recent/current Android.  I know Apple introduced CallKit at some point and before that third party phone apps would have the kind of problem you described.  I assume Android has their version of the same, but not sure why it would not work for you.

I just tested this out on an iPhone and you are right - it works as it should.  Unfortunately our whole sales and service departments use Android phones (latest version for Samsung phones). I am personally using a new Samsung Galaxy S22 with the latest Android updates.  There is an option in the phone settings to select your default "Phone" App and typically with other softphones I have installed, you can select other phone apps to use as the default phone app which fixes these problems. However ZoomPhone is not a recognised Phone App on Android so you can't select it as the default phone app on the phone.

I can verify that on my Motorola android phone, the Zoom app does not show up as a choice to set as a default Phone app. I'll see if I can test later if cell phone calls interrupt my Zoom phone calls..

AnthonyB
Listener

Still no solution to this that I can find and out team is getting pretty frustrated with Zoom.  My limited research shows that this works on iPhone because of the Callkit functionality included in iOS.  Reading a thread from 3CX softphone thread the Callkit functionality for Android was "fairly new" in Oct 2018 but they were introducing it into their Android client back then so the technology must be available to Zoom also ??  Without this Zoom don't really have a workable solution for Zoom Phone on Android.

enielsen
Participant

On my Samsung Z Fold 4, if I am on a Zoom Phone call and then get a cell phone call, I just see a popup to decline or answer the cell phone call. The in progress Zoom Phone call continues as normal during this.

enielsen
Participant

I will note I'm using the Google Phone app and not Samsung's. Haven't tested using that....

AnthonyB
Listener

Thanks for the reply.  I just tried on a newer Samsung phone and that now seems to work as you say also.  I will test out some of the other phones we have.  Thanks.