cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Rooms - Ray Baum compliance required?

Shiloh
Listener

We are a medium size company with around 100 Zoom Rooms in the US - Trying to find out if Zoom Rooms fall under Ray Baums act for dialing 911.

What I have tested and found so far

Dialing 933 from a room that has not had a phone license assigned - call fails. most of our rooms have not been configured with an extension as dialing out would current count against zoom meeting phone call minutes - didn't require an extra phone license.

If we assign a basic phone license it can dial 933 ( but then can not dial out otherwise ) - but it uses the default site address and does not follow settings for more specific e911 info ( I wanted to include the room number itself)   - even though there is an option to use a different address when you assign it a zoom phone license.
I tried setting an unlimited license and it's still giving the programmed building address and not the address chosen in the drop down.

Ideally I would like to have an emergency location added per Zoom Room  - these are fixed locations and won't be moving around, I am guessing zoom wants to deprecate the old method of calling out using zoom meeting minutes and switch people over to using Zoom Phone - but as neither method will be compliant I am currently stuck. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jsteinberg
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Shiloh,

Are you using Nomadic 911 ?   If so, this is likely why this is happening.

Take a look at the article below:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360042699912-Setting-up-nomadic-emergency-services

Specifically, the Location Priority section.  You will see that the configured/default address is at the bottom below the other Nomadic Location detection methods.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Arps

Hello!  

When you add Zoom Phone basic to a Zoom Room, you should be able to edit the device under Phone System Management -> Users & Rooms -> Zoom Rooms.  There, you can set the emergency address for that space.  

Arps_0-1641396988420.png

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Thanks! Rick

Just hit reply and not seeing my last post.

I am aware of this setting setting and that's what I had meant by

"even though there is an option to use a different address when you assign it a zoom phone license.
I tried setting an unlimited license and it's still giving the programmed building address and not the address chosen in the drop down."

can you try updating the address on your system and testing? for example on your room Zoom room + trio add a new address to the site with for example FLOOR 1 in the address line 2 and try to assign it to the zoom room. The behavior I see is it ignores this and uses the site default. 

jsteinberg

Shiloh,

Are you using Nomadic 911 ?   If so, this is likely why this is happening.

Take a look at the article below:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360042699912-Setting-up-nomadic-emergency-services

Specifically, the Location Priority section.  You will see that the configured/default address is at the bottom below the other Nomadic Location detection methods.

Thanks that was it - I specifically had to add a new location and set it via the private IP address of the Zoom Room computer. 

Is there a way to have nomadic apply to users and not Zoom rooms? I don't see the lldp data in the zoom room client so trying to figure out a way not not need to hard code locations to our private IP addresses. 

I guess I could have a work around of create 1 location for users with nomadic on and 1 location for Zoom rooms with nomadic off?

jsteinberg

You could create a new Zoom Phone site with Nomadic Emergency Services disabled, then move the ZR into that site and then it would use the configured address.

 Is this the place you said to have nomadic off? I try this and it is still giving the site default ( including test 2 ) 

site-nomadicoff.PNG

It does not list out stahr room - even with nomadic off

PhoneSystemManagement-address.png

it reads the address provided here. 

It seems like this field is completely ignored - for now the best I can do is add locations for each IP address - I will have to see about getting the helper service installed to see if that can detect network ports. 

newsite-address.png

toddcarswell

Shiloh,

Let me start by recommending that you consult with your company's legal counsel on regulatory compliance with Ray Baum's Act.

That said, Ray Baum's Act and Kari's Law apply to Multi-Line Telephone Systems (MLTS).  If you look at the language at the FCC site below, it says that Ray Baum's Act applies to "any station equipped with dialing facilities".  This would lead me to believe that a Zoom Room configured without any dialing facilities is not required to comply with Ray Baum's Act. Like I said, though, please consult your legal counsel for further guidance.

https://www.fcc.gov/mlts-911-requirements

Pertinent Snippets from the FCC site:

MLTS installers, managers, and operators:

• May not install, manage, or operate for use in the United States an MLTS, unless the system is configured so that a user may directly initiate a call to 911 from any station equipped with dialing facilities, without dialing any additional digit, code, prefix, or post-fix, including any trunk-access code such as the digit 9, regardless of whether the user is required to dial such a digit, code, prefix, or post-fix for other calls.  (47 CFR § 9.16(b)(1).)

Provision of dispatchable location from MLTS on-premises, fixed devices:

• On-premises, fixed devices associated with an MLTS must provide automated dispatchable location with 911 calls.   (47 CFR § 9.16(b)(3)(i).)

Yeah it seems like we could be compliant by removing the ability to dial out - but thinking about that we would then remove a place someone could go and actually dial 911.  It feels backwards to me that we would want to remove a place for someone to dial 911 in order to be compliant.

toddcarswell

Shiloh - If you require dialing capabilities for your Zoom Rooms, they'll definitely need to be compliant with both Ray Baum's Act and Kari's Law.