cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom App Works but Phone is Disabled if I use my VPN to connect to work

MattBirch
Listener

My Zoom app works with and without my VPN being active.  I can join meetings, do internal calls as a meeting, and if my VPN is off make phone calls using the zoom app.  Once I turn on my VPN to connect to my work  computer I no longer can dial or receive calls using my zoom number.

12 REPLIES 12

MattBirch
Listener

This is on my Windows home PC, not my phone to clarify.

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi matt birch,

when you turn on your vpn, your vpn may force internet traffic to go in and out through your work network including your work firewall and other security devices.  your work firewall may be blocking the ports that zoom phone uses.

please see 

Zoom network firewall or proxy server settings – Zoom Support 

thanks

eliot

My work uses Zoom phone internally now too.  So would the fact it's coming through the VPN block it as opposed to to being directly from Zoom?  No one else remote seems to have this issue as well which is stumping my IT.

Eliot

are you using the same vpn with the same settings as other remote users? 

maybe its a firewall access list issue.  only devices with certain ip addresses or on certain subnets and or vlans are allowed to communicate with zoom phone.

what are the error messages you get when trying to connect to zoom phone when using your vpn? 

can you get to personal->phone->network diagnostics.  if so, what diagnostics do you see?  please see attached screen shot.

thanks

eliot

Same VPN, not sure on the settings others have:
Latency (RTT)
Avg (ms)
Max (ms)
Packet Loss
Avg (%)
Sending:0
Receiving:0
Max (%)
Sending:0
Jitter
Avg (ms)
Sending:4
Max (ms)
Sending:7
Receiving:2
Codec
Sending:opus
Receiving:opus
Clock Rate (KHz)
Sending:48
Receiving:48
It says ready and green checks for both the top checks

Eliot

I am not knowledgeable about vpn and firewall.  you should consult with your IT department.

Your inability to access zoom phone may depend on how the vpn was configured, which ip subnets are allowed, etc. Your network people may have to review firewall log to troubleshoot.

4102701 is the error I get.  I don't see it on the error code list but it looks like 700 errors are certificate problems?  I made sure to update my zoom app but still having the issue.

Having this same issue with ExpressVPN. Might be too many users on that IP?

enielsen
Participant

I've seen this issue at my work as well, we have multiple different VPN's in use

1 - only work subnets use VPN so Zoom no issue

2 - all traffic goes through VPN so had to open corporate firewalls to have Zoom work

Still have a problem with situation #2 as is also interfering with e911 location detection by network block as is concealing the actual private IP of the computer. i.e. so Zoom cannot tell if a laptop is at home or at the office when using this #2 type VPN.

enielsen
Participant

Use one of the those "what's my ip" web sites and see if it shows your home's public IP. If it does not, then your company VPN likely tunnels all traffic through their VPN. Also could look at your routes, I think on windows that: netstat -r

works. Look at the route for 0.0.0.0 (the default route) does it use your home router or does it use the VPN tunnel?

But does seem likely is related to the VPN firewall setup on the company side.

MattBirch
Listener

I can see my home ip is 45.51.etc but 0.0.0.0 uses my home router IP.  So I don't think it's all going through the VPN.

enielsen
Participant

If this is a laptop, can you take it to a cafe or some such and see if the same problem occurs?