cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there a huge space in the quotes " (123) 444-1234)" when exporting unassigned numbers?

dylanhunt
Attendee

Zoom's exporting unassigned numbers by default puts in 3 spaces before the phone number. 

Why is that?

if I need to copy/past this info, having the spaces is going to be a problem.  how do you guys get around this. 

I really don't feel like having to write excel formulas to remove the spaces. 

other option, open in notepad++, remove space and quote and then open in excel, but why?

Does Zoom need these 3 spaces if i want to put these numbers into a CSV to assign numbers to extensions, or assign numbers to users?  

4 REPLIES 4

enielsen
Participant

I assume it is an artifact of their DB system as that is not the only place where spaces get exported in some fields in CSV files.....

newl
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @dylanhunt ,

The space is added because when importing into a spreadsheet, the default formatting for cells is usually set to "Automatic", which in my experience sets cells formatted to a numerical value (i.e. a number).

So (123) 444-1234 is converted by the spreadsheet to 1234441234, which is not great. 

What I have become accustomed to doing, is to export the DIDs from the Unassigned Tab. As you know this creates a CSV file.

I then import the CSV file to a new sheet, select all cells and set formatting to "Plain Text".

An alternative method / additional step would depend on the spreadsheet you are using. Your spreadsheet application may have a command that will automatically remove whitespace from cells. I have used this a few time when I forgot to set the formatting and had already merged the Unassigned DIDs with other data.

Google Sheets calls this feature "Trim Whitespace"

https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2019/05/new-sheets-features-may.html#:~:text=remove%20duplic...

Excel has the "TRIM" Command

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/trim-function-410388fa-c5df-49c6-b16c-9e5630b479f9

Hope this helps!

enielsen
Participant

I don't import the exported CSV files into actual spreadsheet software, I use the CSV's for various custom scripts - the export process on the Zoom end is what is adding in the extra whitespace for some fields for some exports; I've had to put in code to trim out the whitespace when dealing with the files.

dylanhunt
Attendee

thanks guys for the tips!