cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set ringtone volume separate from call volume

TJ-NM
Listener

Some of my users use an external speaker puck as primary device for their phone calls.  The volume they set for talking to people is too high for the ring when new calls come in.  If they turn the volume setting down on the speaker to make the ringtone low, then the cannot hear the callers when answering a call.  They then turn the volume up high on the speaker during their conversations.  But unless they remember to turn the speaker volume down after the call, then the next ring is loud again.  There needs to be a way to separate the volume for incoming ringtone from that used in a phone conversation.

6 REPLIES 6

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @TJ-NM —

I don’t think there’s a way you do what you’re specially asking… but here’s a few things I think might help. 

Firstly, most devices with speakers have separate audio controls (speaking mostly from a Windows user experience).  Here’s a microsoft.com post on how to open the Volume Mixer. Locate the device where Ringing sounds come from, and adjust the volume for the Zoom app that feeds the sound.  My experience with Volume Mixer is that the settings are stored by Windows and return after a reboot, so if you get it set right once, you should be good. 

Another option might be to select a new ringtone – one that sounds more pleasant, and already at an appropriate volume. 

I looked through this Zoom Support article “Changing phone settings (client or app)” for some help, but didn’t see anything specific. You might take a look and see if you can spot something I missed. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Thanks for the reply @Ray_Harwood .  However, we have looked into the Windows part of the equation too. The volume mixer uses the same device for the incoming ringtone as for the call itself so the issue remains the same.

in your Zoom Settings under Audio you should be able to select "Use separate audio device to play ringtone simultaneously" once they select this they should be able to adjust the volume slider for each device.  They should be able to increase the external speaker volume and keep the headset volume lower or vise versa. 

Thanks for the reply @JimmyOrtiz3.  As I mentioned, the user is using his external speaker puck as his primary device for phone calls so lowering the volume on that will lower the volume for ringing and for the actual call.  Having a secondary simultaneous ringing device would not change that

Ray_Harwood

Ah, okay! I interpreted something you said that indicated the Ringtone and the Phone Audio played over different devices. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

bmangan
Listener

This is a huge issue for us, is this on the roadmap?