cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical phone (on the ZTP list) capable of Zoom Video calls

Boyan
Attendee

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a recommendation of physical phone (on the ZTP list) capable of Zoom Video calls. We do have Zoom phone system and usually use one of the low end Poly models that work fine with voice but I want a higher end phone which possibly can do Zoom video - obviously the thing would come with decent size LCD and a camera?

Example - Yealink VP59 device but it's unclear as to exactly whether it can do what I want.

Thanks

Boyan

Boyan_0-1675285621879.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sachinzoom
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi Boyan,

Yes to your fist 3 questions. However, SMS is on the roadmap but not committed yet.

If this helps, please accept the answer as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

FORE-Craig
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @Boyan 

We have Yealink VP59s in Zoom Phone Appliance (ZPA) mode, that obtained from Zoom directly. I would venture to say that the quality of the audio and video really very good. If you have a Zoom Meeting in your linked calendar, it will even remind you prior to the meeting and show you the option to join the meeting. You can also directly start a Zoom Meeting the the Zoom Phone Appliance  interface. The display is certainly not as large as that of a computer, so viewing a large number of participants, or shared screens is rather small. The camera is not built-in to the display. They plug into the top of the display, and there is a manual privacy slider on the camera to switch bit off. 

Some things to be aware of with the VP59 and all phones that do ZPA is that they currently do not link in your Google/Exchange/Outlook 365 contacts, only the External, and Personal Contacts set up on the Zoom web portal. The ZPA software also has not yet been updated to allow Call Control (click to dial) from your computer. 

I hope that helps! 

Craig

DoctorWho

Hi @Boyan ,

unfortunately I'm not deep enough into zoom phone hardware, but you may have a look at the Grandstream Andorid Desk Phones.

They are able to install zoom at (least via the apk) and then you can use the full zoom experience with video-calls and even chats.

But maybe there is some expert out there who can answer us this question better :).

Best,

DoctorWho

sachinzoom

Hello,

My recommendation is to go with Zoom phone appliances (ZPA ) that can do video:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360059251252-Getting-Started-with-Zoom-Phone-Appliances

Here are certified devices. Yealink VP59 can also be configured as a ZPA 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360059251252-Getting-Started-with-Zoom-Phone-Appliances

Boyan
Attendee

Hi everyone, very helpful, thank you. So looks like ZPA is the thing - one quick clarification. ZPA does NOT require Zoom Room license and a ZPA phone can also function like a normal low-end Zoom voice-only phone, yes? Dialing digits using the keypad and answering an coming PSTN call to the phone number associated with the Zoom phone?

Lastly do any of the ZPA devices support SMS in any way? In/out? Whatever support might exist?

FORE-Craig

Hi @Boyan 

The ZPA doesn’t require a Zoom Rooms license. It can be used as a dedicated desk phone for a user. Its primary function is that of a desk phone with a Zoom app-like interface. The interface is different depending upon the model of hardware that you choose, whether the display is in landscape or portrait orientation. 

The upside is that the ZPA gets updated every so often like the Zoom desktop and mobile apps. 

One caveat that I will mention about how it works with the VP59 is that if you use the physical number pad to dial a number, the # key does not function as it does on regular Yealink desk phones to Send/Start the call, you do need to tap the Send virtual button on the display. 

ZPAs do not presently support SMS. 

I hope that helps. 

Craig

sachinzoom

Hi Craig,

Good callout. Meanwhile, Yealink offers yealink Action URI to send a call, which can accomplish this.

https://support.yealink.com/support-service/front/knowledge/htmlToPdfDownloadById?id=03d0477da77204e...

There is a youtube video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKygnsHvvC8

@FORE-Craig Hey Craig, one thing crossed my mind the other day - if ZPA is basically a "computer" running Android and the stock Zoom client app, why would it NOT support SMS? The Zoom client app supports SMS no matter the platform, be it Windows, MacOS or iOS or Android so why is it different on ZPAs? Is there something special that makes ZPAs different from an Android tablet, for example? 

My point is that if it's all the same, ZPAs should support SMS just fine? No?

Thanks

Boyan

FORE-Craig

Hi @Boyan 

I see your point. Logically, the ZPA app could probably handle SMS. It would be nice to not need to switch platforms just for SM. Personally, I would find it awkward to type comfortably using the onscreen virtual keyboard at the angle of the phone's display though.

Does that make sense?

Craig

sachinzoom

Hi Boyan,

Yes to your fist 3 questions. However, SMS is on the roadmap but not committed yet.

FORE-Craig

Hi @Boyan 

Since I saw this post that I previously made in this same feed, I wanted you to know that Call Control (click to dial) from your computer, and integration of Google/Exchange/Outlook 365 contacts are now working in the ZPA interface for the Yealink VP59. 😊 

I hope that helps!

Craig