cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Able to Make Outgoing Calls

98Lope
Listener

I set up 2 users, assigned numbers and phones.  I cannot make outbounds calls.  it says on the phone "Emergency Calls Only"  I have made sure the users can do Outgoing calls.  They can receive calls and I can dial their extension.

Any insight on this?!  

Thanks

Kendall

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

98Lope
Listener

OK so it took me all day to figure this out...

Problem:  Firmware was not up to date causing the display issue on recently added phones.

Problem:  Could not update firmware via Web interface because ZOOM automatically disables it after a phone is provisioned.

Solution:  Turned Web Interface On in Zoom, reset phones to factory,  accessed the GUI, updated firmware and did Assisted Provisioning.

Unfortunately the existing phones did not  take the update/reboot well for the Web Interface being turned on, so I have to factory reset them and repeat the process for the 4 other phones.

Firmware update solved the bug in the phones and I am able to access the web GUI after enabling it and resetting and reprovisioning phones.

Thank you guys for your help!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi kendall,

each user who needs to make outbound calls needs a calling package assigned to them.  on the zoom web portal, please go to admin->phone system management->users & rooms.  do each of your two users have a calling package such as us.ca unlimited?  zoom phone basic only permits calls to company extensions.  please see screen shot.

thanks, eliot

98Lope
Listener

Yes.  The users have the US/CA Unlimited calling plan

Eliot

hi 98lope,

you should be good to make outgoing calls to us and canada.

are you using a physical desk phone such as cisco, grandstream, poly or yealink to make the outgoing calls?  if so what is the make, model and firmware of the phones?  are these phones on the zoom phone certified list?

Zoom Phone Certified Hardware – Zoom Support

did you rent or buy new desk phones or were they used phones?  the reason i ask is that maybe the phones have some left over settings from previous use.  if they were used phones, you may need to do a factory reset.   after the factory reset, zoom will automatically provision the desk phones.  at that point, you should try again to make outgoing calls.

if you are using desk phones, you should troubleshoot by trying to make calls using a zoom windows, mac, iphone or android zoom client.  if you are successful making calls with a zoom client, this would point to some issue with the desk phones.

if you are using a zoom client such as windows client, iphone client or android client, which client are you using and what is the version?  also, what is the client installed on, i.e. windows pc, mac pc, iphone, android phone, etc. ?  

what do you see in your phone system logs for these attempted outgoing calls?

admin->phone system management->logs

thanks, eliot

98Lope
Listener

Yes, the Phones are Yealink T42G IP Phone.  They are listed on the certified list.

These 2 phones were not hooked up/used for a few years.

I factory reset them, and proceeding with the Auto Provision.

The phone's status is Online and assigned to user.

I just a test call from the Zoom Client with one User on Windows.  That dialed out successfully.  So it must be the phone.

What would be the steps to troubleshoot the phone?

Eliot

hi 98lope,

you should follow the instructions in the support article below to reset the phones to factory default.

Resetting to factory default (Yealink) – Zoom Support

thanks,  eliot

Eliot

hi 98lope,

yealink 42g are end of life phones.  according to zoom:

Yealink

Note:

• Provisioned Yealink devices will automatically upgrade to the latest supported firmware version. Set up firmware update rules if you don't want Yealink devices to automatically upgrade.
  • After the June 14, 2020 firmware upgrade, the following end-of-life (EOL) models are only allowed to use ZTP once: T29G, T41P, T42G, T46G, T48G, W56P.
  • If you need to re-provision an EOL model, you will be prompted to enter the last 5 digits of the device's serial number to start the provisioning process. You can also use assisted provisioning.

T42G IP Phone (note C) AES-128 29.83.3.10 

Note (C): These are end-of-life models.

Zoom Phone Certified Hardware – Zoom Support

here is yealink datasheet.

Yealink SIP-T42G Datasheet

thanks, eliot

enielsen
Participant

Can the desk phone call other internal Zoom extensions?

Yes, they can.  I just realized the 2 users CAN call out on their phones.  It just says Emergency Calls on the display.  If you pick up the phone it does not have a normal dial tone, but if you dial the number you want to call, it proceeds to make a call and rings the dialed phone.

Eliot

this may have something to do with how these users are set up for emergency calling, i.e. 911.  please see

Managing emergency location and addresses – Zoom Support

Routing emergency calls – Zoom Support

thanks, eliot

Checked the Emergency call settings.  Everything looks OK.

enielsen
Participant

Pulling at straws here, given the EoL on that phone and that oddness than ZTP will only work once - maybe confirm that the firmware version is 29.83.3.10?

I would think that - given that the manufacturer's EoL is 2025 and Zoom says will try to support for 5 more years, that this wouldn't be an issue though.

Firmware is 29.82.0.20  This might be the problem then.

How do i update?

Eliot

you can also use this

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360054198852-Setting-up-firmware-update-rules

please see screen shot.

thanks

eliot

Eliot

you can also follow this support article for manually updating yealink firmware.

Yealink assisted provisioning guide – Zoom Support

enielsen
Participant

You can get the firmware here https://hybridupdate.zoom.us/pbx/Yealink_T42G_29.83.3.10.rom  but I've never manually updated the firmware on a yealink so someone else will have to chime in

98Lope
Listener

OK so it took me all day to figure this out...

Problem:  Firmware was not up to date causing the display issue on recently added phones.

Problem:  Could not update firmware via Web interface because ZOOM automatically disables it after a phone is provisioned.

Solution:  Turned Web Interface On in Zoom, reset phones to factory,  accessed the GUI, updated firmware and did Assisted Provisioning.

Unfortunately the existing phones did not  take the update/reboot well for the Web Interface being turned on, so I have to factory reset them and repeat the process for the 4 other phones.

Firmware update solved the bug in the phones and I am able to access the web GUI after enabling it and resetting and reprovisioning phones.

Thank you guys for your help!

Eliot

so happy you were successful!

thanks,

eliot

enielsen
Participant

LoL, I'm actually surprised it fixed your issue! Congrats!