cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have to use a Desk Phone for Common Area Phone?

OE_Tech
Listener

Hi!

I am currently attempting to set up Zoom Phone for multiple users under one office. They have a circulation desk, and would like any person assigned to the desk to be able to answer. I know common area phones are used for this matter. But wanted to know if anyone has ever used this capability? And also if it's necessary to purchase a "zoom approved" desk phone or if I can set it up on a laptop like the rest of the users have for their own personal lines.

Any and all help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

FORE-Craig
Community Champion | Customer

Hi!

We have a Common Area phone set up in our break area so that we can pick up and make calls there. You could indeed have someone sitting there. Common Area Phones don't have a voicemail associated with them nor do they have all of the Call Handling features apply that a normal Zoom user does. They do require a Calling Plan and Certified Device - see following link:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360028516231-Managing-common-area-phones

Since you are looking for a way to have someone use a laptop, I would suggest just setting up an additional Zoom Phone User called Circulation Desk. The then-assigned person could answer the line from a desk phone, a computer or a mobile device by signing into it with that User's credentials. 

Alternatively if it is not really a physical location, and specific people just manage the line during specific hours, you might want to consider using a Call Queue called Circulation Desk with the appropriate extension. You could add all of the people who serve in that function to the Call Queue, and then they could just toggle themselves in and out of it.

I hope that helps!

Craig

enielsen
Participant

I would use a call queue and have people log on/off the queue as needed. Don't need a physical phone for this as would ring each member as desired.

Could also use a Shared Line Group for that number as well - would ring all the members - wouldn't need a physical phone for the number for that as would ring on each member's Zoom app.

FORE-Craig

Hi @OE_Tech!

There are a couple of responses to your question. Have any of these answered your question? If so, please mark the reply as an accepted solution so that others will be able to reference your question as resolved if they have the same question.

Thank you!

Craig